Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Some Vox wah action - Handwired vs BBW

Post by slash-ed »

BBW means Big Bad Wah, not that other thing, you dirty bastards. JB, looking at you.

Had the occasion to check out both of these courtesy of Music Planet. Classic, spartan design vs Swiss Army knife designed by ol' chromedome godfather of shred himself.

Check it! http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2013/03/1 ... n-warfare/

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Some Vox wah action - Handwired vs BBW

Post by druz15 »

I don't know what it is but I've never liked the sound of Vox Wahs, (perhaps cause like you said they are more subtle and I'm a Froosh WH-10 fiend, which is probably the LEAST subtle wah ever). Hendrix could make em sing and all that but whenever I've played one (or one modeled off a Vox wah) i've always felt something lacking. It's almost like the range and taper of the sweep has just been left wide open and flat, whereas a dunlop voiced wah is a little more focused on the upper mids I guess.

Anyway wicked review and all that, playing was tasty as fuck but the sound just doesn't do it for me (for example that rage song it just sounded too "bloomy" and lower mids had a weird resonance that kinda muffles the notes or something), the GNR solo part sounded GREAT though.

sounds like the Satch one is pretty badass though, didn't mind most of those clips
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Yeah I think they're definitely different to what has become the "accepted" sound of wahs (Dunlop Crybaby). I'm in the same boat, the Handwired was a little subtle for me, but I could happily see myself using the Big Bad Wah.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I love the handwired personally. That's what a wah should sound like as far as I'm concerned.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Our guitarist has the old school one - it's a really sweet sound, not in your face like a cry baby or the BBW. The BBW is the best wah I've heard, though I haven't heard a Teese irl yet. I might keep the BBW I have for sale on TM, they really are a great wah. I got mine after hearing Sam from Luger Boa's one, and he is the king of wah tone.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

I have a Teese RMC Picture Wah (the old school voiced one, '60s Vox type tone) the only thing that has come close to it is the Vox Handwired but they are ever so slightly different. I like old school sounding wahs, don't dig the modern crybaby stuff.

Having a great wah is only half the recipe, knowing how to manipulate one with your foot is important too!