Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 578 times

Tell me about boosters...

Post by TmcB »

I'm looking at things like the EP Booster, MXR Microamp, Mesa Toneburst, Super Hardon, Super Chilli Picoso, and I'm wondering exactly what differences these guys bring. As far as I can tell, the purpose of a boost is to a) raise your volume and b) knock your tubes around a bit more to get more drive.

So what's the real use of a booster, or in other words, why isn't everyone just using an LPB-1 if you're just trying to get more volume/saturation from your amp? What's so marvellous about the EP Booster that has everyone frothing at the mouth over it?
Last edited by TmcB on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Tell me about boosters...

Post by Single coil »

Has a bass boost switch and I forget what the second one does. Also has xotic written on it.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 702 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I use an exotic ep booster and a mi audio boost n buff v1. I love the boost and buff, it's the pedal I've had the longest. the ep booster is cool
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4013 times

Post by Bg »

to me a booster is the perfect transparent overdrive pedal. What you're doing is slamming the input of the amp and driving your input tubes into overdriven distortion. Where this falls down is if your amp has a bit of a sketchy input, where a non-transparent overdrive would be better ;)
I've found when I've hit my vibrolux with a big signal (ge7 hit all the way up) it sounds like a marshall :) And equally loud through its tiny wee 10 inch speaker.
So, good for slamming your input valves. If your amp is a good un. Loud, in my circumstances - no master volume. A bit like hitting an amp with a high gain pickup I guess.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7930 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

I think of a booster as something that gives you more of your amp, pushes it harder to hit that sweet spot earlier, but when really cranked can act like an extra channel, but still retaining the essence of your amp :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

They all have different flavours, though the differences can be very subtle.

Currently I have a Super Chili picoso, a Giggity, an Under/Over, an EP Boost ...and a bunch of overdrives that can act as boosts.

Of those, the most flexible would be the Under/Over and Giggity. Eq options help in that regard.

For transparency, I'd say the Under/Over and Super Chili.

For staying tight, I'd say the EP Boost. GREAT pedal for an older Marshall.

For glorious farty looseness at extreme settings I'd say Super Chili. The ZVex Super Hard On is similar in this respect. Bear in mind that sometimes the looseness is the pedal and sometimes it's the amp.

In the end they are all really good in some context or another.

Shout out to three more I don't own: AC Boost, RC Boost and Fulltone Fatboost. AC boost is great with Voxes and Marshalls in particular.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

The most famous boost of all time is the Rangemaster. Although it is a treble boost -- they all colour the sound to some degree, some less than others.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Check out the Creative Audio Mk 4.23 for a truly transparent clean boost with lots of headroom. I used them pre-Kemper/AXEFX - I have two to now sell for cheap too :)

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

I have a Hotcake that I use as a boost, but I've gone through a bunch of others as well. There's more to it than just a level boost- I prefer something with a high-frequency lift as it add clarity as it overdrives the amp and gives the impression of the amp working harder. I haven't tried the EP boost but logic would suggest that, because it's based on the Echoplex, it would introduce more high-frequency (tape circuits often use pre-emphasis to counteract the high-freq loss of tape). I've always preferred OD pedals that are closer to completely clean with the drive control at minimum because it means you can use the tone control as an EQ. An EQ pedal would be just as useful, but I've never liked graphic EQ pedals for some reason.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

I probably do it wrong. I have a catlinbread Chili Picoso and an Analogman Beano but what I actually use is a Wampler Compressor and a Catlinbread Dirty Little Secret V1.

I have a low power amp but a much cleaner tone than most except Benderissimo would use. The DLS is set up as a low gain volume boost to push the highs and add some cut. It's very close to the lovely JTM45 I owned once. The Wampler has 2 jobs. It makes everything fatter and warmer and also adds smooth sustain to my Sybil Fuzz and Timmy. (For when I'm not playing clean)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I use a McPherson Black Boost, which is aclean boost like the MXR microamp, but I use it in the FX Loop. This way, you are only boosting your power tubes, resulting in complete retention of tone but with a LOT more volume and power tube drive.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

TmcB wrote:I'm looking at things like the EP Booster, MXR Microamp, Mesa Toneburst, Super Hardon, Super Chilli Picoso, and I'm wondering exactly what differences these guys bring. As far as I can tell, the purpose of a boost is to a) raise your volume and b) knock your tubes around a bit more to get more drive.

So what's the real use of a booster, or in other words, why isn't everyone just using an LPB-1 if you're just trying to get more volume/saturation from your amp? What's so marvellous about the EP Booster that has everyone frothing at the mouth over it?
Oh man I used an LPB-1 clone for ages and it was great did the job well etc etc. Fried it one day trying to run on 18v or something
got an EP booster as a replacement, holy shit so much better. It's the kinda pedal that just makes everything sound better just by being on (even when on unity gain). Not different in a measurable, describable way, but better
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

To answer your question tony, eq.

It seems sometimes you don't just want more of your sound,but also a little sculpting for its application.ie lead etc. I'm using an OCD clone into my hm2 ( yes,really ) but it's not actually a boost as such,more a smoothing of the lower bass and slight boost of the highs. Makes the trem picked stuff more defined :congrats:

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

And the Pig Tronix class A boost is another worthy option...I had one, and once just using it and a dls mk iii I had an awesome tone all night, then I sold it, wish I hadn't, but I now also use an ep booster, v1 which I like better because it has a bright switch, v2 drops the bright switch for an original spec switch...it's the bright switch I like, and since it's a boost, I don't mind it doesn't have unity gain!

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

You can also use an OD pedal as a boost/Booster pedal. turn the drive down and volume up. has a similar effect.
Most booster pedals try to keep the middle ground in term of colour and unlike a OD pedal which will have a flavour. eg. Boss V Tube screamer etc.

It all comes down to the type of boost you want. Some people like the "I doing a Solo" boost type while other like the driving the crunch sound of an amp boost.
I prefer the adding low gain crunch type setup with a booster over the look at me setting. :wink:

like anything in guitar land there is no correct way to use them.

I like the Mod tone booster that Ryan use to sell and I still use it. also use the Catalinbread versions as well.