Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Ok learn us about Kempers?

Post by Bg »

I'm thinking I'll bring one back from the UK as I've sort of had a hankering for awhile...

Just looked at Andertons and there are way more options than I thought. Toaster, Rack, Floor. Powered/UnPowered etc.

Somebody make a decision for me. Or help at least.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Ok learn us about Kempers?

Post by codedog »

I got mine directly from Kemper. It's a Stage, with free carry case included. It's the newest model but, if my desk space was not limited, I wonder if a toaster wouldn't have been better. If you're not gigging, toaster would do you well too.

None of them can do audio through USB though.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

so its headphones or FRFR (for unpowered)?
I'm keeping the Eleven and probably the Helix for now as well so usb audio is taken care of. I've got a mini mixer that I channel both the helix and eleven through to output to my monitors, so audio is covered
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:30 pm so its headphones or FRFR (for unpowered)?
I'm keeping the Eleven and probably the Helix for now as well so usb audio is taken care of. I've got a mini mixer that I channel both the helix and eleven through to output to my monitors, so audio is covered
For monitoring? Yes, headphones or FRFR. For recording? You need to go through an interface... either analog, or s/pdif.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Thats ok, I'm covered then - pretty sure I can use the Eleven rack as just a normal interface...

With the powered ones, they just use normal guitar speakers right? or do I need some unpowered pa speakers. I think I should actually do some research lol....

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Option blindness is a thing. You'll spend hours cycling through the thousands of profiles we'll all send you. Not a bad problem to have.

Ducking was my favourite feature of effects like tremolo. You can have the effect diminish as you play with more force meaning the trem comes in for the cool, slow-picking bit and disappear once you start crashing chords. All effects should have this feature.

I've had toasters and the Stage. If I was buying again I'd get the Stage. Like getting the toaster and pedalboard controller thing all in one. And, I think, it has bluetooth which, I think, the others don't. I think... :-)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:04 pm Thats ok, I'm covered then - pretty sure I can use the Eleven rack as just a normal interface...

With the powered ones, they just use normal guitar speakers right? or do I need some unpowered pa speakers. I think I should actually do some research lol....
The powered ones can use guitar cabs, yes. I have zero experience with those. I think you need to use different (Direct) profiles... or turn of the cabs bit... or some such. Not something I have, or am likely to, explore. Oleg or kiwiaxe may be a better source of info there.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Give me a while. I’m just outside playing pétanque with the teens. I’ll express some lengthy thoughts for you later tonight.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Same as Molly had both flavours and the stage was great especially hooked up to pc.

Now I have Kemper gas
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Olderama wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:37 pm Same as Molly had both flavours and the stage was great especially hooked up to pc.

Now I have Kemper gas
I don't. Three times was enough.

I'm still waiting for the $5 phone app that can interpret Kemper profiles. Or the stripped-down Kemper pedal that stores your five favourite profiles (five was about what I settled-on).

In my shed of things to get rid of is a flight case for a toaster. I really should list it.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Do you think you’ll ever want to bypass the power amp/cab/mic part of the equation and use it to run a normal guitar cab? (my view: don’t). Unless you say yes, don’t bother with the powered version, as it will be a waste of money. If you really want to try through a guitar cab down the track, borrow one of those new amp-pedals like the EHX Magnum 44.

Now they’ve finally got a proper editor for the computer, you’ll do most of your stuff on the computer not the unit itself. I’ve owned toaster, rack and stage. I prefer rack+remote (that’s what they call the footswitch). The stage is fiddly and I wouldn’t be confident exposing it to drunk punters (or clumsy me) in case something got broken.

The stage does have a function that means you can control it with an iPad app. Big deal, can’t see the use. But if you want that function, you can do it with the toaster/rack by adding a standard little wifi router.

No it doesn’t have an interface; 11R will need to handle that for you to record (assuming it has stereo inputs). I’ve never wished it had a built in interface.

Don’t bother buying profiles. Also, don’t bother with rig exchange. I pretty much just use ToneJunkie exclusively now and can hook you up with a small selection to get you started (or you’ll get paralysed by choice).

If it were me, I’d buy rack+remote+Ideally 2 mission expression pedals (one with the switch). But stage+expression pedals - especially if you aren’t going to be gigging with it - would also be excellent and cheaper.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Dunno if you guys have tried the rig profiler in TH-U but it has kemper profiles you can hoon without a kemper

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

At home playing - Toaster

Gigging and need a light rig - Floor

Gigging in pubs where idiots spill drinks and step on your $3000 floor board - Toaster and a Midi Controller

Gigging and want a real guitar cab - Powered Toaster

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I'm sort of split as I'd like to envisage a future where I'm gigging again. I'm swinging toward rack and controller, but need to go into the youtube rabbit hole, thought I'd get youse fullas feelings, especially Kiwiaxe, being a very early adopter!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I use the toaster at home, hooked up to studio monitors. The sound is addictive. It makes me smile almost every time I hear the first note once I power it up. I think we all have days when we get really frustrated with our tone and want to chuck it all in and start again. I've never felt like this with my Kemper--a first for me.