Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Finish Molestation.

Post by Slowy »

No, this thread is not about the drunken antics of Kimi Raikkonen.
Getting way ahead of myself here but there's a new toy in my future and I'm excited!

The one thing that I have real trouble with on new guitars is a mirror shine. I want to see the wood, not the reflections from the windows. I'm much happier with satin, especially if there's some lightly polished wear bits.

Anyway:

The Eastman I have yet to meet is allegedly finished in polished Nitro. If I wanted to just break the shine, no relicing but if we managed to crack the finish it would be a fine thing, how would I best go about this? The brief remember, is breaking the shine not relicing the instrument.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Finish Molestation.

Post by robthemac »

A very light bit of work with 1500 grit wet and dry will get rid of the shine. Need to be careful to not sand through though, it is is genuinely nitro.

I've got a bottle of compressed air that needs spraying if you want to try a little bit of cracking?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:48 pm No, this thread is not about the drunken antics of Kimi Raikkonen.
Getting way ahead of myself here but there's a new toy in my future and I'm excited!

The one thing that I have real trouble with on new guitars is a mirror shine. I want to see the wood, not the reflections from the windows. I'm much happier with satin, especially if there's some lightly polished wear bits.

Anyway:

The Eastman I have yet to meet is allegedly finished in polished Nitro. If I wanted to just break the shine, no relicing but if we managed to crack the finish it would be a fine thing, how would I best go about this? The brief remember, is breaking the shine not relicing the instrument.
Nice. HNGD (pending). I took the shine off one of my poly finished guitars just the other day using 0000 grade steel wool. Worked a treat. It's poly, mind you, not nitro.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

0000 grade steel wool works well to lightly dull the finish. 3M do a synthetic version so you don't have to worry about metal bits getting on the pickups.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Another vote for the synthetic 3M stuff. Works wonders with multiple light passes with the finest grade.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Yeah, that synthetic 3m 0000 grade stuff is what I use.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Thank you. Gentlemen. I didn't know about the 3M stuff.

So, straight strokes or circular?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:30 pm So, straight strokes or circular?
Combination? :lol:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:30 pm Thank you. Gentlemen. I didn't know about the 3M stuff.

So, straight strokes or circular?
Straight and follow the grain!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Candeevr4 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:03 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:30 pm So, straight strokes or circular?
Combination? :lol:
Aroused.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

3M Trizact pads go all the way to 5000 grade. Start with a super fine one and work towards one that leaves the finish you're after. I'd avoid wire wool. That stuff gets everywhere.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

If you want to crack the finish, don't shoot it with compressed air. That gives spider web blotches.

The only way to effectively crackle an instrument, assuming the nitro is hard enough to do this (most aren't), is the deep-freezer.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:41 am If you want to crack the finish, don't shoot it with compressed air. That gives spider web blotches.

The only way to effectively crackle an instrument, assuming the nitro is hard enough to do this (most aren't), is the deep-freezer.
Veganism really limits my freezer needs. Can't fit a Strat body in mine, let alone a set-neck.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

A freezer job
Attachments
Tele Custom.jpg
Tele Custom.jpg (740.93 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Grant is right though. Compressed air will crack the finish, but not in the lovely parallel horizontal lines that vintage guitars have.