griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Explain me Kemper (and now, AXE FX)

Post by griff »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:00 pm I've worked hard to like AxeFX, mostly due to the hype. Over the last 10 years I've owned the AxeFX2. AxeFX3. and the FM3. All whilst also owning kempers. I could never get the Fractal stuff to sound as good through FOH as the Kemper. But I should note my tones vary from low gain (almost clean) to crunch, so not high gain. Think Andy Timmons' lead tone as likely the highest gain I'd use. I suspect the Fractal stuff does chuggachugga better than the Kemper if that's what floats your boat.
I was thinking last night why the reason would be for this. Probably because Kemper profiles are mic'd cabs and essentially it's like mic'ing your cab on stage but without the cab, more of a natural sound. Axe fx relies on IRs. That's not to say the Axe can't get great sounds through a PA.. Plenty of pros use them.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

griff wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:36 am
Kiwiaxe wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:00 pm I've worked hard to like AxeFX, mostly due to the hype. Over the last 10 years I've owned the AxeFX2. AxeFX3. and the FM3. All whilst also owning kempers. I could never get the Fractal stuff to sound as good through FOH as the Kemper. But I should note my tones vary from low gain (almost clean) to crunch, so not high gain. Think Andy Timmons' lead tone as likely the highest gain I'd use. I suspect the Fractal stuff does chuggachugga better than the Kemper if that's what floats your boat.
I was thinking last night why the reason would be for this. Probably because Kemper profiles are mic'd cabs and essentially it's like mic'ing your cab on stage but without the cab, more of a natural sound. Axe fx relies on IRs. That's not to say the Axe can't get great sounds through a PA.. Plenty of pros use them.
I am sure that professionals can get awesome sounds out of Kemper, Axe, Helix, you name it... all the gear nowadays is so amazing! My observations were purely my (amateur!) experiences :)

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 292 times

Post by murky »

Not worth 2c but....

I went AXFX 1, then 2. A pair of FRFR monitors (QSC's) for the big-dick stereo experience eventually became SS amp/guitar cab, then tube power amp/guitar cab. That's when I realised I was an idiot.

Then ran the FX8 into the front end of WHY. Really wanted to love that unit, but it had a couple of really odd software glitches that were only noticeable when running it into a cranked amp. The worst was that the right channel's audio would cut out for just a fraction of a second after you stopped playing. You could also hear digital clicking in time with the tap tempo light. Emailed Fractal about it and they replied with "nothing we can do".

Life's much easier now.......