Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2487 times

Re: NAD: Vox AC4

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:10 am I must warn you all that it is a gateway drug to AC10 ownership.
I do worry it might be a gateway to an AC4 HW. I hope not.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:40 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:10 am I must warn you all that it is a gateway drug to AC10 ownership.
Been there, done that, wouldn’t recommend.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:45 am
That's a relief; why?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:50 am

That's a relief; why?
It was a good amp, but not really any better- I was even a little disappointed by it. It has a little bit of additional functionality (hot/cool switch) but that’s not really that useful. I also think there’s something about the 10” speaker. The standard ac4 is just a really good amp :shrug:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:56 am

That's a relief; why?
It was a good amp, but not really any better- I was even a little disappointed by it. It has a little bit of additional functionality (hot/cool switch) but that’s not really that useful. I also think there’s something about the 10” speaker. The standard ac4 is just a really good amp :shrug:
Yep, the 10"AC4 just seems like a sweet spot to me. Plugging in a 12 makes it bigger, rounder and louder but it doesn't actually make it better.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:07 pm

That's a relief; why?
Yep, the 10"AC4 just seems like a sweet spot to me. Plugging in a 12 makes it bigger, rounder and louder but it doesn't actually make it better.
I used the HW at a band practice (my old band), and it kept up nicely. I don’t know that the standard one would have without an extension cab.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

10” speakers do hit a sweet spot. Even 8” speakers in a smaller room work well.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Jensen alnico 10” are the sweetest fruit
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7736 times
Been liked: 4180 times

Post by jeremyb »

The wee red AC4 I had sounded huge into a 4x12 :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3488 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:51 pm Jensen alnico 10” are the sweetest fruit
I made the mistake of looking at alnico speaker prices. Yikes!!

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

That's a relief; why?
This. I had a HW4 and even with an English Blue, I ended up moving it on to Mr Oleg's Emporium of Curio's. I always struggled to find something pleasing with the top boost circuit, even with the tone cut. Sounded quite boxy too. For me, the magic is being able to blend the normal and top boost channels, like on the bigger AC's.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7736 times
Been liked: 4180 times

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:30 pm
Ceramic sound better for some circuits like champs, plus they're cheap as chips!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:30 pm
My thought, 'I should put a 10" Blue in here..." proved very fleeting! :rofl:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Right. 3.30 Sunday arvo. The lounge is littered with guitars and pedalboard. Lurking on the coffee table is the Vox. I haven't really done anything else since I got up this morning. Slight movement of any knob, guitar or amp, can produce an interesting shading of the tone, or even another voice entirely.
This thing's interesting and so much fun. When I bypass the pedalboard, I stop noticing in about 15 seconds.

So I like it then. In fact, for the first time ever, I'm going to name an amp:
It's to be called Noodle; to remind me where the day will go if I switch it on.

And I discovered the perfect companion for the amp this afternoon, GlenDronach Traditionally Peated.
It's a Highland, finished in sherry and port casks with extra peating.
Shouldn't work but like the Vox, it's full of surprises.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3488 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:59 pm Right. 3.30 Sunday arvo. The lounge is littered with guitars and pedalboard. Lurking on the coffee table is the Vox. I haven't really done anything else since I got up this morning. Slight movement of any knob, guitar or amp, can produce an interesting shading of the tone, or even another voice entirely.
This thing's interesting and so much fun. When I bypass the pedalboard, I stop noticing in about 15 seconds.

So I like it then. In fact, for the first time ever, I'm going to name an amp:
It's to be called Noodle; to remind me where the day will go if I switch it on.

And I discovered the perfect companion for the amp this afternoon, GlenDronach Traditionally Peated.
It's a Highland, finished in sherry and port casks with extra peating.
Shouldn't work but like the Vox, it's full of surprises.
I just noticed something I could not recall from the first time I had this amp. It needs the volume at a certain level for the gain to overdrive. I think I said that he right way. It feels like the preamp does different things depending on the power amp. I hope that makes sense. Does yours do the same thing?