GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Midi Journey

Post by GrantB »

I'm terrified.

The new band requires way more tap dancing than I can bare. My two midi capable devices are important tone shippers - Line 6 HX Effects, and Boss SY-200 synth.

I have figured out that what I don't like is wasting all the time I could be playing and learning songs, programming switching. Therefore I resist the investment (time). I'm also worried I just won't be able to "get it"...I struggle with remembering how to create Scenes on the FX, let alone a multi faceted piece of work with parameters and pedals all controlled in one hit of a switch. Which, bye the way, is exactly what I require.

Has anyone here become a true guru between say something like a Morningstar, and a multi effects like the HXFX?

I really do need some help here.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Midi Journey

Post by slash-ed »

Morningstar switchers have a very easy and intuitive editor interface.

MIDI for guitar players is basically really only three things:
- Program Change (PC) which is changing presets
- Control Change (CC) which is changing parameter values
- Tempo sync (self explanatory)

If you have everything setup on the HX and SY as different presets, you should really only have to get the Morningstar to send PC messages.

Just make sure to set the right send (Tx) and receive (Rx) channels from the switcher to the respective pedals. Then everything else is just making sure you have the right Program Change (PC) going out to each bit of gear.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:29 pm I'm terrified.

The new band requires way more tap dancing than I can bare. My two midi capable devices are important tone shippers - Line 6 HX Effects, and Boss SY-200 synth.

I have figured out that what I don't like is wasting all the time I could be playing and learning songs, programming switching. Therefore I resist the investment (time). I'm also worried I just won't be able to "get it"...I struggle with remembering how to create Scenes on the FX, let alone a multi faceted piece of work with parameters and pedals all controlled in one hit of a switch. Which, bye the way, is exactly what I require.

Has anyone here become a true guru between say something like a Morningstar, and a multi effects like the HXFX?

I really do need some help here.
Lol, come on over to the dark side, you'll love it here.
I run 4 digital pedals through a morningstar MC6. I was bamboozled at first, but it really didn't take long to get the hang of it. Now I wouldn't be without it. The MC6 is really powerful but you can use it just for simple presets, no problem. My next step is to put an expression pedal into the mc6 and have the ability to control any larameter on my digi oedals, either singularly or as a group preset. I imagine this would be a lot of fun with a synth pedal!!
Morningstar have the best tutorials imo, and a lot of them focus on supporting the Helix too. @Zaulkin had one for sale a wee while ago. Happy to help on this journey if need be Grant.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

+1 for what Ed sed.

For your purposes, using Program Change messages from your HX to recall presets on your SY is probably the easiest way to go.

How are you doing it currently, out of interest? HX using different presets for each song?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Thanks guys.

The HX has Snapshots which is kinda like having 4 slots per bank of any mix of the effects in said bank. A song like Dreams uses all four (as one needs to be clean bypass). So if I wanted a song with similar effects but in different orders etc I'd have to duplicate the Bank, and make four new snapshots with the new order of effects. This is a major limitation/pain in the arsse.

Because something like the Morningstar can do PC and CC I could do way more on the same bank without running out of spaces. Also, I could include the Synth in and out at the right time.

The new Morningstar has Set List and Song List options. I could pull up Dreams and bam, every iteration of change required.

Robbie, you're right, the HX can send to the SY, but it's on the same basis as say snapshots...so a snapshot would be consumed just for the synth bit.

Make sense?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

slash-ed wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:39 pm Morningstar switchers have a very easy and intuitive editor interface.

If you have everything setup on the HX and SY as different presets, you should really only have to get the Morningstar to send PC messages.

Just make sure to set the right send (Tx) and receive (Rx) channels from the switcher to the respective pedals. Then everything else is just making sure you have the right Program Change (PC) going out to each bit of gear.
Thanks Ed - totally love your SY-200 demo. It made me buy it!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

slash-ed wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:39 pm Morningstar switchers have a very easy and intuitive editor interface.

You've lost him already!! Hahaha
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

AiRdAd wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:53 pm

You've lost him already!! Hahaha
Simple if your that way wired, I could never get my head around the MC6 or midi but I’m the same with anything that resembles coding too.
I probably spent the best part of 2 days figuring out the MC6, I managed to program it to do what I wanted, but as soon as I decided I wanted to change how something was operating a few months later, I had to re learn how to do everything again and lost another half day while it downloads the latest update and I figure out what CC and PC was again. It will do everything you want though and the LCD with naming was great.
I ended up selling mine and going for a pre programmed Jet Micro midi switcher for my HX Stomp. No programming required which I’m much happier with.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:35 pm Thanks guys.

The HX has Snapshots which is kinda like having 4 slots per bank of any mix of the effects in said bank. A song like Dreams uses all four (as one needs to be clean bypass). So if I wanted a song with similar effects but in different orders etc I'd have to duplicate the Bank, and make four new snapshots with the new order of effects. This is a major limitation/pain in the arsse.

Because something like the Morningstar can do PC and CC I could do way more on the same bank without running out of spaces. Also, I could include the Synth in and out at the right time.

The new Morningstar has Set List and Song List options. I could pull up Dreams and bam, every iteration of change required.

Robbie, you're right, the HX can send to the SY, but it's on the same basis as say snapshots...so a snapshot would be consumed just for the synth bit.

Make sense?
I'll do some reading on the Stomp. The way you've described it sounds incredibly limiting.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Thanks Ed - totally love your SY-200 demo. It made me buy it!
Haha that's awesome!!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

OK. It seems I probably have more of an architecture challenge, rather than midi. The HX can manage my midi to the SY-200 perfectly fine.

It's how I work that into the HX with the snapshots that I need to sort out. Which seems unimaginable.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

BUT, I still have to make all these snapshots per song. So I can do Boost/Delay in one hit for eg...sigh.

Why can't it just be "blues in E"?!

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

GrantB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 pm BUT, I still have to make all these snapshots per song. So I can do Boost/Delay in one hit for eg...sigh.

I'm pretty sure you can assign two effects to one button while in Stomp mode on the HX. I find that easier than having snapshots, but if you're also changing the order of effects I think snapshots is the way to go.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Lyle wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:11 pm
GrantB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 pm BUT, I still have to make all these snapshots per song. So I can do Boost/Delay in one hit for eg...sigh.

I'm pretty sure you can assign two effects to one button while in Stomp mode on the HX. I find that easier than having snapshots, but if you're also changing the order of effects I think snapshots is the way to go.
Agree - Imagine having a song that is with one button push, Booster and Reverse Vol/Delay, then another button takes it to Flanger, then another to clean, and lastly Booster/Rev Delay/Echo and Reverb.

That's one whole Bank used with Snapshots. So, reality is, in Snapshot mode (which is the only way to get multi effects on and off with single clicks), is each bank is a song.

Painful reality.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

My ES-5 sounds so much easier to use...