Dimarzio Area 58's & 61's

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Dimarzio Area 58's & 61's

Post by mr_sooty »

Anybody tried these? I've read good things, but I'm such a tone junkie, I dunno. I currently have a new 08 American Std. It sounds pretty good - not quite as good as my old 57 reissue, but good. I love single coils. I love SRV tones (especially the mellow riviera paradise/little wing stuff), that kinda thing. But the hum is killing me at big ole venues like the Wgtn Opera House and Town Hall. I got an ISP Decimator Noise Gate, which is OK for low noise situations, but the more noise you have, the more problematic it is. You get that fizzle of the noise coming back when you play, so your notes end up sounding fuzzy.

I used to have SCN's on a Deluxe Start. They sounded nice, in their own way, but they were a little lifeless and not quite authentic enough. So I'm thinking about trying the Dimarzios. I hear they sound really good, but some say they don't have the same dynamics (loud/soft response).

I may at least put an area 61 in the bridge, that's where I use the most overdrive and get the most noise, and also where I'm slightly less fussy tonewise, as long as it has the single coil edge to it. I just don't know about the neck/middle. The neck especially is where I do all the nice clean stuff, and that's where I really need nice, thick, single coil tone.

So what do you reckon? Anyone tried the Dimarzios?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Dimarzio Area 58's & 61's

Post by ash »

I haven't tried them yet, I usually fit true singlecoils when that tone is called for. But like you, I've heard very good things about them from people with more money than sense and nothing better to do all day than hound tone.

The dynamics thing may well be true. Its a common failing of stacked humbucking singlecoil sized pickups. The Areas are built a little different to earlier types, so maybe its not as obvious as with other stacks. The thing I'd be worried about is whether they can do the 2/4 position sounds well. Probably yes if they are all Area pickups, but one in the bridge and normal single coils in the middle, not so sure.

Anyway... if you want to try some and do a tone report, PM me and we can talk turkey if you like.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

mr_sooty wrote:the hum is killing me at big ole venues like the Wgtn Opera House and Town Hall. I got an ISP Decimator Noise Gate, which is OK for low noise situations, but the more noise you have, the more problematic it is. You get that fizzle of the noise coming back when you play, so your notes end up sounding fuzzy.
Have you done a shielding job on your Strat? It makes a hell of a difference, and there are some awesome articles with pics on the net.
Konx om Pax

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Clarky wrote: Have you done a shielding job on your Strat? It makes a hell of a difference, and there are some awesome articles with pics on the net.
Good question, but yes I have. Actually, the new 08 US Std has a coating of sheilding paint in the cavity, but it doesn't connect with the pickguard sheilding, so I resheilded the cavity and connected it up properly. My old '57 reissue was actually sheilded and star grounded (also by me), which takes out the ground loops, and that's supposed to help too. But I didn't bother with the star grounding on the new one because I've heard that the sheilding makes a lot more difference than the star grounding does, plus, this new model seems to have a form of star grounding anyway.

I actually AB'd my new Strat with the '57 reissue before I handed it over to it's new owner and the new one's quieter! (and the '57 was pretty dead quiet for a Strat.) There's vitually no hum at all at home, I have to hold it up to the lights to get any, even with my gain pedals on. But at these big old venues it's a different story.
The thing I'd be worried about is whether they can do the 2/4 position sounds well. Probably yes if they are all Area pickups, but one in the bridge and normal single coils in the middle, not so sure.
That's another good point, one I hadn't really thought about, but the Area 61 is actually closer to the current middle pickup in terms of output than the curret bridge pickup, so I'm thinking it might actuallly balance in the the middle/bridge position better(?). I don't really use that position that much, but I do like to have quack on tap sometimes, so it's worth considering.