P-90 Pots

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

P-90 Pots

Post by Richy11 »

Am considering throwing a P-90 of some sort into my FrankenStrat, and I realise I have no idea if they are normally paired with a 250k or 500k pot. Or does it not even matter?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7929 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Re: P-90 Pots

Post by jeremyb »

I use 500's with mine :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1233 times
Been liked: 1418 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I always use 500k for tone, you can always back it off a bit. I would try 500 for volume and if you find it too spikey then solder a 510k resistor across the outer terminals of vol the pot.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

I've never tried resistors across any of the pots, might have to give it a crack. Also considered a Seymour Duncan P-Rail, but haven't heard much about them. Or even seen one in a guitar as of yet.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2504 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

Richy11 wrote:I've never tried resistors across any of the pots, might have to give it a crack. Also considered a Seymour Duncan P-Rail, but haven't heard much about them. Or even seen one in a guitar as of yet.
I did that with a Strat upgrade recently. Not sure I could tell the difference and it made the job more fiddly (I start out with the best of intentions but end up melting something).

Often thought about a Strat with three P90s. Bet that'd be cool.

Richy11

Post by Richy11 »

Molly wrote:
Richy11 wrote:I've never tried resistors across any of the pots, might have to give it a crack. Also considered a Seymour Duncan P-Rail, but haven't heard much about them. Or even seen one in a guitar as of yet.
I did that with a Strat upgrade recently. Not sure I could tell the difference and it made the job more fiddly (I start out with the best of intentions but end up melting something).

Often thought about a Strat with three P90s. Bet that'd be cool.
I saw a photo somewhere a while ago of Eddie Van Halen playing a Tele with what appeared to be 3 P90's.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I had them on a guitar for several years. Was happy with them but found I mostly just used the P90 so I changed to them haha!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7929 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

The P-Rails do a lot of tones, but none of them well ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 578 times

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote:
The P-Rails do a lot of tones, but none of them well ;)
This.

500k pots for me too, I like to tame the kerrrang with the tone pot
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 279 times
Been liked: 385 times

Post by Dharmajester »

500k generally gives up a bit more top end.. If you are looking for a non Gibson p90 the Harmonic Design made versions are very cool.. I put a hum sized model in a crappy 90 epi Coronet that I use for slide and it sounds killer..
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

And welcome Mr W!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves