Theory on killing single coil hum

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Theory on killing single coil hum

Post by mr_sooty »

*UNIQUE* wrote:All this talk of hum in single coils...really, is it this bad? I played Strats for decades before I become ill with them and never suffered from all this hum that I see regular posts on (and we had big lighting racks back then - pre LED days). Sooty, are you sure you haven't sort of become overly obsessive about this? Maybe the whole suburb where you live has dirty power or something? I know where we record the power is hideous...everything hums there (amps, humbuckers, bass guitar, monitor systems, me humming when taking a pee). Not ideal. Maybe you have the same problem?

The solution might be to move.
It's not where I live that's the problem. It's not an issue in my house, and if all I did was sit at home and tinker, then I could quite happily live with the barely audible background hum of single coil pickups. I've played Strats for years too. I toured NZ in 1997 as part of a performing arts team with a fairly decent sized old school par can based lighting rig, and it wasn't really a major issue there for the most part either. I got pretty good at turning the volume knob down on my guitar when I wasn't playing.

6 or 7 years ago I joined the music team of a church that was quite small at the time, but has grown into the biggest church in Wellington, and one of the biggest in the country. As we have grown the noise issues for the guitar rigs seem to have "past participle of get" worse. We have a dedicated lighting team and while I don't know much about lighting, our rig consists of all sorts of LEDs, movers, dimmers (I guess), blinders, and I don't know what else.

Last year we had a big conference in the Michael Fowler centre, which is our regular city church venue. There were extra lights, and some kinda special light beam thing directly behind us, which you can see in the pic below. The noise was so bad enough even with my Reverend's humbuckers that I needed to borrow a noise gate from work (which I eventually bought), and my Strat became completely unusable. The hum was literally as loud as the guitar signal.

Now I don't know if the problem's just the lighting or what. It wasn't just that one weekend, that was just the most extreme example. Most of the guys at church use humbuckers or noiseless single coils. Everyone was having noise issues that weekend. The set up guys are careful to make sure the sound equipment is powered seperately from the lighting equipment. One of our newer guys seems to get away with single coils (he bought my Bareknuckles), but he wasn't playing at that conference.

It becomes quite a big problem whenever I play in the city. I used to think maybe the MFC had bad power or something, but now I think it's probably just the lights. I've tried everything with my rig to keep the noise down as much as possible, expect better patch cables. But if it was my rig that was the problem, then installing noiseless pickups wouldn't have solved anything, and it did, it got rid of the problem completely. I've done extra sheilding in my already fairly well sheilded Strat, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

Nowadays I usually play at the smaller Kapiti venue, where it's not quite as much of a problem, but still, the nature of worship music is that there is a lot of 'quiet parts', where the insensity of the music drops away in favour of the intensity of the mood. I hope that makes sence. In these quiet moments I often play some 'tasteful', moody lead stuff, and that's when the hum becomes a little problematic. I find myself always switching to the neck/middle position of the Strat to cut the hum, when I much prefer the neck only tone.

So yep, I've "past participle of get" fairly obsessive about it, because I like single coils. I'd like to get a Jazzmaster one day, but with a lack of noiseless Jazzmaster pickup options on the market, I'm not sure how I could use it at church, which is where I play most. I've been thinking of selling my Strat for a JM for ages, but this is the main thing holding me back (as well as a fear of the unknown!)

The Noise Gate is enough to deal with it at the Kapiti venue, but fairly useless on the Strat in the city.
46063_1601810125393_1240260104_1746513_4076239_n.jpg
Last edited by mr_sooty on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7927 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Hitler didn't need fancy lighting rigs to get his point across, just sayin'....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

jeremyb wrote:Hitler didn't need fancy lighting rigs to get his point across, just sayin'....
Cool, I'll pass that on to the leadership team, and I'm sure they'll get rid of the lights immediately. :roll:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:Hitler didn't need fancy lighting rigs to get his point across, just sayin'....
:shock: Huh? :?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

mr_sooty wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:All this talk of hum in single coils...really, is it this bad? I played Strats for decades before I become ill with them and never suffered from all this hum that I see regular posts on (and we had big lighting racks back then - pre LED days). Sooty, are you sure you haven't sort of become overly obsessive about this? Maybe the whole suburb where you live has dirty power or something? I know where we record the power is hideous...everything hums there (amps, humbuckers, bass guitar, monitor systems, me humming when taking a pee). Not ideal. Maybe you have the same problem?

The solution might be to move.
MichaelFowlerCentreDottedChurchEighthsMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelNoisyLightingRigFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerChurchCentreMichaelFowlerChurchCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichael
FowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreWorshipMusicMichaelFowlerCentreChurchMichaeDottedEighthslFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerDottedEighthsWorshipMusicCentreMichaelFowlerCentre

WorshipMusicMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreChurchMichaelFowlerCentreNoisyLightingRigDottedChurchEighthsMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentre
MichaelFowlerChurchChurchCentreMichaelFowlerChurchCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelNoisyLightingRigFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerNoisyLightingRigCentre

DottedChurchEighthsMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerChurchCentreMichaelFowlerChurchNoisyLightingRigCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichael
FowlerCentreWorshipMusicMichaelFowlerCentreNoisyLightingRigChurchMichaeDottedEighthslFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerDotted

EighthsWorshipMusicCentreNoisyLightingRigMichaelFowlerCentreWorshipMusicMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreNoisyLightingRigChurchMichaelFowlerCent
reDottedChurchEighthsMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerChurchChurchCentreMichaelFowlerChurchCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentreMichaelFowlerCentre

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

C'mon guys, act your age and stop being asses.

Sooty and myself and many others on the forum play mostly in church. We are proud of it, and I for one am getting a little sick of the dotted eighth jokes and general mockery of us because we play in church.

The reality is that what we do is not a joke - we work extremely hard to do what we do and it takes a high level of skill to pull it off. Many of the guitarists on this forum would not be up to it.
We usually have short rehearsals (sometime none) we're playing to click, often to a track. We live with a focus that the music is not about us, and therefore we develop a real sensitivity in our playing.
We are always trying to get young dudes involved and interested in music, so we are also constantly mentoring other guitarists.

I don't think I've ever said a mocking word about guitarists who play in covers or original bands, and I for one would like to see y'all walk a mile in the worship guitarist's shoes before you write us off as slightly mental, old fashioned, obsolete Edge cloners. :roll:

In fact, we worship guitarists are original, unique players, highly skilled and extremely passionate.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

bbrunskill wrote:C'mon guys, act your age and stop being asses.

Sooty and myself and many others on the forum play mostly in church. We are proud of it, and I for one am getting a little sick of the dotted eighth jokes and general mockery of us because we play in church.

The reality is that what we do is not a joke - we work extremely hard to do what we do and it takes a high level of skill to pull it off. Many of the guitarists on this forum would not be up to it.
We usually have short rehearsals (sometime none) we're playing to click, often to a track. We live with a focus that the music is not about us, and therefore we develop a real sensitivity in our playing.
We are always trying to get young dudes involved and interested in music, so we are also constantly mentoring other guitarists.

I don't think I've ever said a mocking word about guitarists who play in covers or original bands, and I for one would like to see y'all walk a mile in the worship guitarist's shoes before you write us off as slightly mental, old fashioned, obsolete Edge cloners. :roll:

In fact, we worship guitarists are original, unique players, highly skilled and extremely passionate.
Amen.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I guess this is the wrong time to ask if that guy in the photo is riverdancing?
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7927 times
Been liked: 4268 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Hot_Grits wrote:I guess this is the wrong time to ask if that guy in the photo is riverdancing?
Dunno, but the guy on the right with the acoustic guitar is enjoying it a lot...

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Hot_Grits wrote:I guess this is the wrong time to ask if that guy in the photo is riverdancing?
St Paddy's Day is on Saturday ...
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:No religion please.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Scooter13 wrote:
Dunno, but the guy on the right with the acoustic guitar is enjoying it a lot...
Fistpump keyboardist is getting into it too. Can't see his fingers so I'll speculate that he's either throwing a very ironic goat or waving to his mum.

To those getting bunched, i'll paraphrase bill hicks: forgive us.

Hey, I know this other forum that has a whole section devoted to both kinds of music. Would that be a good idea for this forum?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Thanks for the warning. Still haven't forgiven those fuckers for Van Morrison. Second only to Australia day.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Hot_Grits wrote:
Thanks for the warning. Still haven't forgiven those fuckers for Van Morrison. Second only to Australia day.
Probably not a big ticket in Ho Chi Minh yeah?
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz