Nice Cheap Pups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Nice Cheap Pups

Post by TmcB »

I've been needing to do something about my microphonic pups in my Epiphone Les Paul.
I think I'm after a PAF sound, and I've been eyeing up those SKY PAFs on guitarparts for the bridge position.
I'm after a warm bluesy sound that can do clean well, goes to hardrock but not really worried about metal.
Think along the lines of Foo Fighters, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead I guess in terms of tonality, maybe a bit of incubus.
preferably potted?
And...if I went with a PAF, what would complement a PAF inthe neck position?

I guess I'm somewhat aiming this at CD
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Re: Nice Cheap Pups

Post by bender »

I haven't tried the PAFs but I have a set of the Sky humbucker sized p-90s and they sound great! I really rate their value for money. The p-90s could be worth considering but I'm sure the PAFs would be just as nice.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

The SKY/KA PAF's are good pickups, especially for the money.
I know a very reputable player who just put a set of 4 in an SG Double neck replica, and thinks they are great.
I had one in the bridge of the 76 Ibanez Destroyer that i had, and it did all it needed to.

They are potted, and 4 conductor for tap-ability.

If you put one in the bridge, it would show up the shortcomings of the epiphone neck pickup (providing its the stock epi pickup?). I usually recommend the JB PAF version for the bridge, and the straight PAF version in the neck as a set.

I'm out of the PAF's at the moment, but should have more early next week :)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

crushing day wrote:T
I know a very reputable player who just put a set of 4 in an SG Double neck replica,
in a lovely shade of red per chance?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

The cool thing about the Sky/Kent Armstrong range is that they seem to get the classic flavour of whatever it is they're based on. Its just the actual sound quality, not the tone/vibe/flavour that lets them down. I have a PAF in the black LP Jr (out on loan at the moment) which is really cool... sounds like a classic LP/PAF should. But when you do a back-to-back test with something more expensive/reputable you can hear that it doesn't have the same degree of clarity as a Duncan or whatever. If you're not doing back-to-back comparisons, you probably wouldn't notice. And they'd all piss all over stock Epi pickups.

I have one chrome covered one in stock if you want to claim it. I also have a nickel covered Kentron (KA Gretsch Filtertron inspired humbucker) which is a good neck position match for the PAF. Just the slight colour difference between chome and nickel. PM me if you want them.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

rocklander wrote:
I know a very reputable player who just put a set of 4 in an SG Double neck replica,

Not sure, but I do know it was made in Rotorua :)

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

crushing day wrote:
rocklander wrote:

Not sure, but I do know it was made in Rotorua :)
;-) at my place of work no less...
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

cool :) .. i should have said its one of two made.. How did they look finished?

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

crushing day wrote:cool :) .. i should have said its one of two made.. How did they look finished?
I really liked the finish... he bought it through work so all the 'fire station boxes' around campus are the same colour now (or will be) :lol:
the one with the ebony fretboard was just stunning.. so eye-catching (not sure which one he got).

not too bad balance either for doublenecks.. could have done with strap button adjustments to balance better on the strap, but when seated not as much neck dive as one would expect.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

If you want some WCR pickups let me know. :wink:

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

tonymcbony wrote:I've been needing to do something about my microphonic pups in my Epiphone Les Paul.
I think I'm after a PAF sound, and I've been eyeing up those SKY PAFs on guitarparts for the bridge position.
I'm after a warm bluesy sound that can do clean well, goes to hardrock but not really worried about metal.
Think along the lines of Foo Fighters, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead I guess in terms of tonality, maybe a bit of incubus.
preferably potted?
And...if I went with a PAF, what would complement a PAF inthe neck position?

I guess I'm somewhat aiming this at CD
You want my BKP Crawlers mate....

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

sambrowne wrote: You want my BKP Crawlers mate....
I'd love your BKP Crawlers...however, there's no point in putting super awesome pups in a guitar that really won't do it justice.

I had looked at them on TM wistfully though :D
Last edited by TmcB on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

Alternatively, if you can stretch to a bit more, buy one or both of the Rio Grande BBQ/Texas pups that Ash has for sale in his pickup sale thread. IMO they are the best sounding Hot PAF/PAF style pickups for the money, and at $140 each, thats a bargain. The next shipment i've ordered in will be up in price, courtesy of the dollar dive.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

+1 for the KAs as a cheap upgrade. I grabbed a couple off TM for about $30 each, stuck them in one of my old guitars and was suitably impressed. It was a distortion type pickup of some sort, and was high output, and tight, if somewhat generic.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

I think that the KA's are the way to go for me. I'm not looking for magical sound (yet), I'm looking for usable, good tone that isn't going to squeal. The guitar is worth less than $500 to me, so not much point in $280 worth of Pups...which is my excuse to stop myself from spending more! Otherwise I would be all about the Rio's.

Thanks for that.