Roll your own vs tailor made

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Roll your own vs tailor made

Post by calling card »

Ok, carrying on from here: http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=30

DIY pickup winding, so using a fishing reel the pickup frame/core is attached & centered to the reel ? and a spool of wire set on a mini fencers spinning jenny sort of thing ?

I wound an alternator for a 850 Norton many moons ago by hand - and it worked!!
Always knew one day I'd do a guitar pickup, any ideas or interweb places to look at would be appreciated. :D
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Roll your own vs tailor made

Post by rocklander »

http://rapidshare.com/files/113537425/j ... r_book.pdf

grab it before it goes off the air :D
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Cool, thanks Rocky, still winding that big ol' file in as I write. :D
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Thanks for that, that's a famous book. Was is Melbourne when you posted this thread and just caught up.
Thought I'd show you my kiwi DIY fishing reel winder etc. $10 for the fishing reel, a few bits of junk to make a face in order to mount bobbin on, about $30 on counter kit and switching magnets/battery from Jaycar.

The flatwork is custom made from some Holm Oak but you can get traditional fibre flatwork at Guitarparts, along with the wire. I wanted the wood look on the top with no plastic covers so I finished the job by covering the windings with leather.
I wouldn't like to wind dozens of pups with this, it takes about 35mins for me to do about 8000 turns, pausing every few mins for a mouthful of cold beer.

In the 3 pics you can see one of the the magnet poles set in completed flatwork; pic of the winder, jaycar counter, flatwork and wire spool ; a pic of the the winder set up on an old wooden block with a bobbin mounted (the counter's switching magnets are in front with twisted wire pair running to the pcb (hidden))

Just to show you don't need to outlay hundreds or construct a fancy winder.
Attachments
100_1212R.jpg
100_1213R.jpg
100_1214R.jpg
Last edited by Ears on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

rocklander wrote:http://rapidshare.com/files/113537425/j ... r_book.pdf

grab it before it goes off the air :D
Thank you kind Sir ! :D

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Lollar's book is a strange bird. It leaves out an awful lot of important stuff and there are a few strange simplifications that make me wonder whether he was intentionally holding back certain details. Some of the designs in the back are quite odd and from what I understand don't neccesarily bear much resemblance to what he produces himself.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Ears wrote:
I realise that you're showing a lot more, but to be honest I'm impressed by the counter (let alone the rest).. very cool :D
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

rocklander wrote:
Ears wrote:
I realise that you're showing a lot more, but to be honest I'm impressed by the counter (let alone the rest).. very cool :D
That counter only goes to 999. then starts again :( , so you have to keep a note of where you are in the wind.
If you are into digital electronics and pcb construction its probably simple to design one that goes higher.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Thanks for sharing, Yep, I reckon the break in the winding for beer will be the secret ingredient of tone. 8)