EMG vs Seymor Duncan

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Champers
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Champers »

Richy11, i know your dillema, i couldnt decide between them so i ended up getting both. pair of emg 81's in an epi lp custom and seymour duncan sh-1N sh-6B in a strat. there both awesome pickups and depends a bit on the guitar but if i had to choose id say the duncans. they sound brilliant as humbuckers and also tapped to single coils, the duncan distortion is one nasty pickup.

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

Champers wrote:the duncan distortion is one nasty pickup.
I hope yo0u mean Nasty in a good way

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

It sounds like you're a metal kind of guy, so maybe emgs will suit you best. the thing with emgs is they seem to work in one of two circumstances:

1. if the guitar has a really nice intrinsic tone. for example, I've played loads of emg loaded strats (they were something of an 80s cliche) that sounded awful, but I once played a basswood tokai 62ri with emgs that sounded as good as any strat I've played. Why? -because it was a great hunk of wood full stop. The emgs just faithfully captured that.

2. if you're using so much gain you pretty much can't tell what the guitar is made of. this covers most of emg's 'metal' userbase.

I prefer non-active pickups myself, and my recommendations for higher output duncans would be the excellent JB, the custom custom, or c5, and the distortion.

Much has to do with your guitar's wood, your rig etc. Hard to make a detailed recommendation without more info.

Mainline in AK city has 2 JBs in stock right now. South Pacific music have good stocks of pretty much everything except antiquities, so ordering stuff shouldn't be too painful. The rockshop an get 'em if you prefer those guys.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

i have played both and i like my single EMG 81 the best. i need no neck pup! :D
"I am the Black Wizard"

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

the dimebucker is based on thishttp://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm
dime still used the L-500xl even though they were making dimebuckers
i would recommend emgs. dont listen to the people telling you theyre sterile cold etc do you think anybody would say these things bout dave gilmours tone?? aye?? aye?? 89s are wicked as they have coil splitting

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

there is nothing too flash about the EMGs, they roar and thats about all they do. they have a huge frequency range however. i can drop my low E a few octaves and still have great definition on it, however this feature is rather usless.

And has far as harmonics go the EMG is rather usless, i can't achieve harmonics anywhere near as good with my EMG as i oculd wiht my dimarzio pickups.
"I am the Black Wizard"

jourdana

Post by jourdana »

id get it from america its sooo much cheaper

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Wait a sec - that is indirectly supporting a US$485Billion killing machine...but me too....eBay is a good start
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves