Antiquity pups have arrived

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

porkpie
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Antiquity pups have arrived

Post by porkpie »

I couldent wait to get home and heat up the soldering iron, the pickups looked fantastic with their scratches and gunge all over them, i was the first person to open them, they were completely unopened which was nice.
The little inspection tag signed by Seymour is a nice touch as is his two signatures on the bottom of the pickups, the neck pup mesures 7.65k and the bridge 8.58k.
I fitted them to my Goldtop as soon as i got home from work, i did notice that the way my goldtop is wired up looked nothing like the little diagram that came with the pickups so ill look into it and will probably end up buying the RS upgrade kit soon.

I fired up the Marshall and played a few licks and immediately noticed that old Goldie sounded alot brighter, the output is also a little lower, the bridge pickup seems abit underpowered and thin as the neck pup is ALOT louder, ill get a real tech to look at it on saturday to see if its all OK. The frets need to be dressed anyway. (darn old guitars) :roll:

My first impressons are good apart from the relatively weak feeling bridge pup, the sound is sweet and bluesy, not quite as dark as the old Gotoh PAF replicas but definately a nicer sound, the neck pup is very full, rich and fat but still kinda sounds like a single coil which is nice.

Ill add more to this story as i get to know them abit better but so far is money well spent. Ill work on some pix as well.
1963 Fender Duo-sonic
1989 Gretsch Jet Firebird
197? Rickenbacker 4001
2000 Simon & Patrick Parlour
2004 Gibson J45
2007 Fender Champion 600
2008 Fender '65 Princeton Reverb
2008 Cuba St Amp Co Radiotone

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

pup height and polepiece height might help? I think the RS Kits have just had a price reduction too, so could be a must ;o)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

porkpie
Stagg
Stagg

Post by porkpie »

Yeah i tweaked the poles right down, ive always had them flat with the covers on all my humbuckers, the bridge pup is set pretty high, very close to the strings, the neck pup is faily low, flush with the mounting ring.
Im getting used to it, they do sound real nice.
1963 Fender Duo-sonic
197? Rickenbacker 4001
2004 Gibson J45
2007 Fender Champion 600

porkpie
Stagg
Stagg

Post by porkpie »

I wonder which RS kit is the right one....the historic or the standard type kit? i have no clue!
1963 Fender Duo-sonic
197? Rickenbacker 4001
2004 Gibson J45
2007 Fender Champion 600

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I would think its the standard kit - it depends on pot shaft length, you'll need to whip a pot out to find out.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

These pickup will always seem weak compare to newer style ones. THats the whole point of them. Age.

If you just want pickups to look old then steel wool and Coke will do that on the covers.

If you LP axe has a steel plate in the pot cavity then you need long shaft pots or Standard RS kit.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Porkpie,what LP have you got. What concerns me is you say that the bridge Antiquity is of lower output, as this shouldn't be the case at 8.5k ohm resistance.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

porkpie
Stagg
Stagg

Post by porkpie »

I emailed RS guitarworks and Roy says ill need the Historic Kit for my Tokai LP, seeing as its a 1957 replica it makes sence.

As for the pickups, ill take my guitar to a local tech on the weekend so he can test the output of the bridge unit to see if its faulty. It maybe just the way it is but the volume of the neck pickup is huge compared to the bridge.
1963 Fender Duo-sonic
197? Rickenbacker 4001
2004 Gibson J45
2007 Fender Champion 600

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

Do i need to change the pots of my LP classic if i want to change the pups from 498R and 500T to SD 59s..? zebras of course :D or are the 57 PAFs a better choice.. or maybe the SD alnico II pro? so many choices...

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Porkpie I think you'll find it'll be your wiring.
Angry,no you don't need to change your pots/caps but this would be advisable if you want better tone,get an RS standard kit from the States.
I would go for the 57 Classic pups(Gibson) myself, I sold a lot of Duncans in the past and while these are good pups they haven't got the mojo of the 57s. In saying that the Duncan Antiquities are real good that porkpie has got............that is if price/budget is not a problem for you.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I can vouch for the '57 classics, got 'em in my SG. Either those or Burstbuckers....
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

the reason i'm leaning towards the 59 is cuz i've used it before and it can be coil-tapped.. and this may sound stupid but i was thinking of making the tone controls on my LP as push/pull coil-tappers.. plus the 59s come in that jazzy zebra config :D

can this be done with the 57PAFs?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

no 57 classics are two wire jobs...

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

You can but its very tricky and you risk stuffing your pickup. Not a job for the faint hearted
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Modding single cable pickups to be splittable is indeed a tricky endeavour, but it can be done. Warren, who does repairs for AK city musicworks, converted my PRS' duncan 59s for coil splitting. I recommend him if you need it done.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?