Gibson '57's

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Gibson '57's

Post by GrantB »

OK, the '57 arrived last week liong with my Fuzz kit and the Green Machine. That ends this session of GAS.

Installed the coverless '57 to my Black LP Standard (bridge pos), replacing an AlNiCo Golden Age p/up from Stew Mac.
1. It is hotter than the Golden Age - had to raise the neck slightly to even out volume
2. It is darker sounding than the golden age - more guts but less honk. The Golden Age's (G/A) had a real low output sweet honk - bit like a slightly beefed single coil.
3. It drives amps very harmonically - better than the G/A's
4. The dombo now of the neck and bridge is better, more hollow sounding (almost out of phase) due to the combined p/up styles.

Overall, I like it. It is far better than the 490's I ditched a yeay ago. It is different from the G/A's, which I would suggest are more realistic against real old PAF's. However, I like the tone better because it will be able to be used on newer sounding stuff i.e., it is more versatile.

Total cost NZD$110
Install time - 30 minutes with new strings too.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

great! I like mine, haven't had the urge to look for any replacements ;)

My latest session of GAS has just ended this morning, couldn't resist the price drop on POD XT's
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

bluesgeek wrote:great! I like mine, haven't had the urge to look for any replacements ;)

My latest session of GAS has just ended this morning, couldn't resist the price drop on POD XT's
we saw that coming.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

yeah but I resisted the urge to buy at the original prices - I was caught out with my Pod 2 like that - I paid full price then a week later it was down by $500, didn't get caught out this time :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.