Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 808 times

Re: Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Post by hamo »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I'm interested in this argument....anyone else got a view? Maybe PAF refers to tone now more than anything? When someone says "I want a PAF"...what they mean is they want a bright sounding humbucker of medium output, not the muddy type or high output.
Probably this, although most of the time advertising material is good enought to talk about pups having a "PAF tone, rather than referring to them as PAFs.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

hamo wrote:
*UNIQUE* wrote:I'm interested in this argument....anyone else got a view? Maybe PAF refers to tone now more than anything? When someone says "I want a PAF"...what they mean is they want a bright sounding humbucker of medium output, not the muddy type or high output.
Probably this, although most of the time advertising material is good enought to talk about pups having a "PAF tone, rather than referring to them as PAFs.
For me, PAF = super old, super expensive humbucker that I'll probably never actually hear in the flesh, or be able to afford.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 763 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

hamo wrote:
Yeah to me, PAF refers to a type of 'sounding' humbucker. Eg 50/60's sounding, low output.

Look at the Seymore Duncan website for example. They use 'PAF' as like a yardstick for rating their pickups. "This one is a hotter style PAF, this one is a Super Hot PAF, etc..."
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7779 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Post by jeremyb »

Meh PAF to me is those chrome covered bucker thangs, think I'm not in the minority either :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 808 times

Post by hamo »

slash-ed wrote:
hamo wrote:
For me, PAF = super old, super expensive humbucker that I'll probably never actually hear in the flesh, or be able to afford.
I think that's fairly common, to the point where when I hear PAF I automatically think the person is talking about PAF-style rather than actual PAFs.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

*UNIQUE* wrote:And hence why I would like the distinction made between Joe Blow humbuckers from actual, real, PAF's. There is a generation of young gat players that believe a PAF means, humbucker.

I'm interested in this argument....anyone else got a view? Maybe PAF refers to tone now more than anything? When someone says "I want a PAF"...what they mean is they want a bright sounding humbucker of medium output, not the muddy type or high output.
As far as I'm concerned, unless qualified by "original" or "Gibson" or a year like "1959", PAF is now a generic term describing a low-ish output humbucker aimed somewhere in the tonal spectrum of the Gibson originals.

Any humbucker hotter than a Pearly Gates can't be reasonably described as a PAF. Even EVH style humbuckers are only half-PAF at best.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1365 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I'd love to post a thread on the LPF with the title "Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's".

jeremyb, I think you're right. This is a Walkman vs. Sony Walkman type identity crisis for the real "PAF". Anything that slightly resembled the real Walkman was a Walkman. And another case, Glad Wrap had to defend their own brand when generic others said "we're all "Glad Wrap" because that's what the populace call our goods"...they had to take out ads etc to say, "they are "cling film" or "food wrap" - WE are "Glad Wrap"". Given that Gibson puts "Patent Applied For" decals on every Classic 57 that leaves their p/up manufacturer, they don't place much value on maintaining the original "brand" and ensuring it exists ONLY on the real PAF. And why would they - there is no future asset or value to be realised by doing so. They don't sell second hand pickups. PAF only refers to an items status with the Patent Office, rather than any tangible item.

Ash - agree.

I have significant respect for Gibson R&D of the past...huge even, don't get me started. The real PAF was a masterpiece. It dealt with an issue (hum) whilst creating, possibly as a side benefit, a unique sound. Old and original PAF's should retain that distinction. Calling any medium output humbucker from any manufacturer a "PAF" is not ideal in my mind. I can't blame anyone for doing so however...now, better go Hoover my lounge with a Philips vacuum cleaner.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Always meant 'patent applied for' to me.
I've always thought the tag referred to the original design and therefore specs.
Correct if wrong - Seth Lover invented the HB Gibson had them in production while the patent was being processed, Gibson tried to protect the technology by using the sticker in the interim.
Later many models of HB's -tweaked, hot-rodded , etc not original specs therefore not PAF design unless stated.

So now it means only those made in 1950s? OK.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1213 times
Been liked: 1407 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

*UNIQUE* wrote: I'm interested in this argument....anyone else got a view? Maybe PAF refers to tone now more than anything? When someone says "I want a PAF"...what they mean is they want a bright sounding humbucker of medium output, not the muddy type or high output.
PAF - "like" pups...
Walkman - "like" cassette player...
Hoover "like" vacuum cleaner...

the list is endless, I knew what I wanted and so did benderissimo, thats all that matters.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

It's alright man. Not having a shot at ya, merely discussing an observed fact.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

I think there are a gajillion more impressive inventions than making a pickup hum-cancelling. Maybe it is just me.

Hell take the walkman and the hoover as two examples right there.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

The context around the R&D statement with Gibson was around the electric guitar world.

Otherwise yeah, when compared to everything the hum cancelling pickup probably rates pretty low...somewhere behind toilet paper....

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Ears wrote: So now it means only those made in 1950s? OK.
? Not sure of your point here? In my relatively tongue in cheek argument, yes, that is what I am saying. Only from the 50's/early 60's. Everything else is "like" a PAF, but not one.

TBH, it doesn't matter a flying rats rectum...just an interesting argument.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Post by Slowy »

Most of my limited knowledge of PAF's came from the TQR magazine's 'Spanish Castle' and 'Horse Latitudes' articles. If the subject interests you, these are a must read.

TQR attests that the PAF mystique is valid and real, and has been used by countless pup manufacturers to promote their own products. TQR also claims that they have never found a modern pickup which fully replicates the PAF character. Given the fundamental simplicity of a guitar pickup, that's the bit I find most extraordinary.

So PAF has entered the guitar vernacular as a (mostly unattainable) reference for vintage humbucker tone. I guess Unique and his colleagues are going to have to make do with a nod and a knowing look when they encounter the term. :)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1213 times
Been liked: 1407 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I often think those that think the PAF is a mystical pup are the ones that were daft enough to spend $5000 on them. I bet none of them could pass a blind testing.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"