Cheap pickups in general

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Re: Cheap pickups in general

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Ceramic pups are overlooked - there's just something really cool about the immediacy of the attack and the top end clarity. I love ceramics in Strat neck position espesh.

Someone mentioned Area-T. I have an Area T in the bridge of my 3-pup Blackout Tele - and can confirm they are fantastic and much quieter than your usual (hum cancelling). They do a 'Hot Area T' for bridge aswell if you want more chunk and volume. I'm planning to get an Area T neck into that guitar to pair it up with the bridge.

If you want trad Tele tones then check out the Dimarzio Twang Kings. Twangkingly gouuud mate.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

MogwaiBoy wrote:Ceramic pups are overlooked - there's just something really cool about the immediacy of the attack and the top end clarity. I love ceramics in Strat neck position espesh.

Someone mentioned Area-T. I have an Area T in the bridge of my 3-pup Blackout Tele - and can confirm they are fantastic and much quieter than your usual (hum cancelling). They do a 'Hot Area T' for bridge aswell if you want more chunk and volume. I'm planning to get an Area T neck into that guitar to pair it up with the bridge.

If you want trad Tele tones then check out the Dimarzio Twang Kings. Twangkingly gouuud mate.
+1. I have a ceramic in neck, best tonez.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1212 times
Been liked: 1404 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Bill Lawrence Tele pickups are fantastic and they are cheap... I have the Keystones in my Tele. The L500 buckers are pretty awesome too.

http://wildepickups.com/Home_Page.html
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

Apoloigies if someone has said this already, but their are some cheap pickups on Trademe right now. Couple of 2nd handers (Duncans mainly) going for sub-$100.

I have Duncans in my SG: a 59 in the neck and a Custom 5 in the bridge. I like the combination but was leaning towards more aggressive styles of music when I had the Custom 5 put in. Would probably have used 59's there too or maybe Antiquities if I could do it again.

Random question though: does anyone know if it's possible (or just easy) to install pickup covers on an SG Special? The bridge pickup in particular is pretty high. Like this...

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Rhettsauce wrote:an SG Special? The bridge pickup in particular is pretty high. Like this...
Totally possible, and fairly simple. Easier to get them on than it is to get them off.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

mr_sooty wrote:
Rhettsauce wrote:an SG Special? The bridge pickup in particular is pretty high. Like this...
Totally possible, and fairly simple. Easier to get them on than it is to get them off.
Cool! Where do you buy these covers from?

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

i think guitarparts.co.nz have them
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

druz15 wrote:i think guitarparts.co.nz have them
Awesome, they do. Wonder if these'd do...

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... ategory=17