Cheap pickups in general

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ztikmaen
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Cheap pickups in general

Post by ztikmaen »

Hi guys, I'm new here and I've been gassing for a very long time. I've always wanted some Bareknuckle pickups but SERIOUS doubt has plagued my mind when I found pickup companies like Rio Grande, GFS, Dragonfire, Klein etc
Are there any good suggestions for GREAT cheap pickups? I don't want to break the bank but I want a pickup that will actually last me forever (not a "pretty good for the price" one, a "WOW this would be great for 3 times the price!")
Thanks guys :)

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Cheap pickups in general

Post by SammyD »

Whats your budget?
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1376 times
Been liked: 2106 times

Post by GrantB »

I dunno about those brands...except for GFS, and I thought they were very average...but I would seriously consult with Adrian at Ash Custom Works. His pickups sound great to my ears and I'm comparing them to top end stuff. Seconding that, the DiMarzio stuff is always good value and I think great sounding.

Like most things, you get what you pay for...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I dunno about those brands...except for GFS, and I thought they were very average...but I would seriously consult with Adrian at Ash Custom Works. His pickups sound great to my ears and I'm comparing them to top end stuff. Seconding that, the DiMarzio stuff is always good value and I think great sounding.

Like most things, you get what you pay for...
Companies like Lollar, Fralin and Bare Knuckles do make fantastic products. But the less expensive firms like Duncan and Dimarzio both make a lot of really great pickups. I love Lollar Imperials and Fralin Blues Specials, for example, but I have a guitar with a Dimarzio PAF and Duncan APS2s and they sound really great.

It all depends on how picky you want to be, and possibly how much experience you have with the sound you're after. But the levels of improvement from mid-range to high range spend on pickups do tend to yield much subtler degrees of change than the move from cheapo pickups to mid-cost pickups.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

ztikmaen
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ztikmaen »

Oh ok. Well I have a MIA Tele that I want to put hotter PUs into, especially for the bridge (was thinking Rio Grande for "BIG TEXAS TONE!" -__-) but people keep raving on about how the cheap pickups were completely not what they expected in a good way. But my budget is around $600 to replace a Tele set and a Humbucker set.

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

Which raises the question: what exactly is cheap about cheap pickups? (Apart from the sound)
Where do they make the savings?

ztikmaen
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ztikmaen »

PlukkyBoy wrote:Which raises the question: what exactly is cheap about cheap pickups? (Apart from the sound)
Third world countries, child labour etc... Lol
Well what would you recommend for somebody on a tight-ish budget?

Oh... Just realized that Rio Grande isn't really affordable, just not as crazy as BKP... BKP are bloody expensive in that case :O

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I like the Rio Grande Buffalobucker/Genuine Texas set I've got. I've had a set of their tele pickups and they're pretty nice too. I wouldn't have called them cheap but you could get both for your budget. I've had two sets of BKPs and they're great but the Rio Grandes are pretty good too. I think the Buffalobucker is pretty special actually.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I'd also second the Ashcustomworks suggestion. I really rate his pickups.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have Seymour Duncan's and Dimarzio's in various guitars and both represent great value for money, sure its a bit like a toyota compared to the ferrari BKP, but they both do the same job :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

Duncan Designed HB102, sounds exactly the same as a JB, owned them both, compared them both, $25 on trademe.

8)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Capt. Black »

ztikmaen wrote:...
Well what would you recommend for somebody on a tight-ish budget?

A hotcake.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i got some BKP's from MR Glynn....wasn't that expensive at all,maybe 50-60 bux more than an equivelent sd r dimarzio set thru a local distro?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

ztikmaen wrote:Oh ok. Well I have a MIA Tele that I want to put hotter PUs into, especially for the bridge (was thinking Rio Grande for "BIG TEXAS TONE!" -__-) but people keep raving on about how the cheap pickups were completely not what they expected in a good way. But my budget is around $600 to replace a Tele set and a Humbucker set.
I'd definitely recommend Seymour Duncan for telecasters. Seymour's a tele guy. The hot for tele and quarter pounder would be good places to start. Fralin and Lollar do great tele pickups but may not do a hot enough pickup for you depending on your needs.

For hum cancelling Dimarzio makes the Area Hot for tele. Haven't heard but I'm told they're good.

I'm sure Bare knuckles and Rio Grande do great hot tele pickups too.

Much depends on how much output you need, really. Bear in mind that the hotter a pickup gets the thicker in the mids and less toppy sounding they are. Which may be exactly what you're after.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

PlukkyBoy wrote:Which raises the question: what exactly is cheap about cheap pickups? (Apart from the sound)
less unicorn tears and no dragons breath.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.