Test: Bareknuckle Mothers Milk vs Dimarzio Area 67

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Test: Bareknuckle Mothers Milk vs Dimarzio Area 67

Post by Scooter13 »

I thought the difference was quite noticeable...but I was switching back and forward between clips in order to ascertain and listen for a difference. Maybe you should compile it in to one clip, and each section side be side. That's what sooty would do sooty.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Yeah so did I. I liked the Areas better for clean, the BKPs slightly better for overdrive.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Pakehendrix wrote:Not a dig here, but do you really need the lights? Really?

If so, power them from somewhere else...I have played many many gigs, most with lights, and never has anyone had any notable problems with SC noise. It just seems extreme to me to change something you really love (the pickups) because of a problem with other probably quite unnecessary equipment (the lights). A "cutting off your nose to spite your face" kind of situation, where the really easy answer is to just either not have lights, or power them from something else.
Yeah I'm sure it'd go down real well if I told the lighting team at church that I didn't want them to have lights anymore because it's interfering with my guitar tone. Nah man, that's not my call, I'm just the a guitarist in the worship team in the biggest church in Wellington. I don't get to decide what lights they have and what lights they don't have. Apprently the lights are powered from a different source than the music gear, but again, I'm not part of the production team either so I wouldn't know. I just show up with my gear and play. I'm a small part of a pretty big operation.

As you can see here, lots of lights. And these are from a couple of years ago. Things have just got bigger since these were taken:
Conference 1.jpg
Conference 2.jpg

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Scooter13 wrote: Maybe you should compile it in to one clip, and each section side be side. That's what sooty would do sooty.
I was actually going to do that, but I decided it was going to be to time consuming.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

bloody hell a big stage and you even have a big screen....that must be one cool gig
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

praise de lawd

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

can't praise Jesus in the dark.

Keep the Dimarzio's but put the BKP covers on them. No hum and cork sniffer cred intact = win win.

My strat isnt even a real fender (chinese squier), has yamaha pickups, and aftermarket everything but the wooden bits, but with a fender sticker on the headstock it has still gets plenty of "wow cool guitar man" from people not in the know, and sounds good enough to me.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

jimi wrote:can't praise Jesus in the dark.

Keep the Dimarzio's but put the BKP covers on them. No hum and cork sniffer cred intact = win win.
They don't fit! Dimarzios are fractionally deeper and wider. Not that it would make any difference whatsoever, they're just white plastic covers.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

So, as I was saying before the server shift took my post, I played with these at church this morning, first time in ages I've played the Strat at a service. They were great, I really didn't notice any difference tonally, they sounded perfect to me. The height adjustments have fattened up the bottom end and sweetened the top end nicely. It was so good being able to jam on the neck pickup again! Dead quiet too, no need for the Smart Gate today. Very glad I took a punt on these.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3925 times

Post by Bg »

mmmm deja vu?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

BG wrote:mmmm deja vu?
Obviously for the benefit of those who may not have read my previous post during the two minutes it existed before the server reset.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

In the past few comparisons I've heard (this one and the Tele Areas vs Lollars), I've definitely preferred the Dimarzio Areas to the more expensive pickups. Which is both surprising, and great, since I'm coming from playing humbuckers a lot and the noise from single coils does bug me to a certain extent.

voodoochild
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times

Post by voodoochild »

Sooty it's cool that the Dimarzios are working a treat for you. Was your strat still completely unusable even with the modtone powerplant and the smart gate you got a while back?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

voodoochild wrote:Sooty it's cool that the Dimarzios are working a treat for you. Was your strat still completely unusable even with the modtone powerplant and the smart gate you got a while back?
Yeah pretty much. The powerplant was great for getting rid of the little hisses and squeals from the pedals board, but in all honesty they weren't really much of a problem. The Smart Gate is great for cutting out the little bit of noise I still get even with the humbuckers in my Reverend under those lights, or for dealing with a little single coil noise in a better environment, but with the Strat under the full lighting rig it's just too much noise for a gate to be an effective solution.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I rate the Area pickups if only for the reason that I have a Dimarzio Area T in the bridge of one of my Tele's. It sounds great and remarkably like a true single coil (in comparison to Fender Noiseless). If I had a Strat i'd probably look at doing an Area set and calling it done :)

Cam, one of the "tone tricks" I picked from that Christian praise-rock video thingy (yeeeeeesh the chorus was too Dashboard Confessional for me!) was running a quick, boosted digital delay (ie: low feedback = only one or 2 repeats, but full mix) into the front of a slightly overdriven amp. If you ignore the gear laws which tell you to only run time-based effects in an effects loop... you'll discover that delay actually sounds pretty damn cool straight into the front of a distorted amp - as long as you're not going for total clarity.