Humbuckers for 335

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 832 times
Been liked: 1319 times

Humbuckers for 335

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

So thought I'd pick the brains of the forum once again.
Will be contimplating a pup change in my yamaha sa1000 at some stage soon.
Actually the stock pups are very good. The only things I would say is that there is a degree of muddiness/darkness to them that interfers with getting good articulate overdrive/distortion. Played clean lead they are fine, clean rhythm they are a little boomy.
Id like to be able to achieve tasty overdrive/distortion ala' Killers/Larry Carlton Steely Dan solos/Grohl while still maintaining a warm vintage tone for Indie/folk applications and putting on my nans sunspecs for Roy Orbison sessions.
Bit worried that some of the vintage style sets are unpotted, and thus might be honky and microphonic in a semi-hollow.

My thoughts from a little interweb research:
1. SD 59's
2. Dimarzio 36th anniv/or air classics
3. Gibson 57'
4. SD seth lovers

Thanks guys

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7779 times
Been liked: 4204 times

Re: Humbuckers for 335

Post by jeremyb »

My vote for 36th anni's, I have one of those in the bridge of my LP and its bloody great, clear and articulate, more like a single coil but plenty of grunt, I have a SD '59 in the neck and its much darker in comparison, quite a nice contrast I reckon having one of each... NB: These are uncovered pickups, I found the covered pickups I had previously (JB / '59 combo) were quite dark and muddy, apparently the covers can be partially responsible for this.... you could try raising them and see if they brighten up a bit?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1213 times
Been liked: 1407 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Value for money I would go for the Annies. The Classic 57's seem to work very well in my 339 if you back them off the strings a bit, they are a bit thicker and warmer than the Annies but not quite as clean if that makes any sense.

Try messing with the pickup height before spending any money, it can make a big difference.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Value for money I would go for the Annies. The Classic 57's seem to work very well in my 339 if you back them off the strings a bit, they are a bit thicker and warmer than the Annies but not quite as clean if that makes any sense.

Try messing with the pickup height before spending any money, it can make a big difference.
+1 on the DiMarzios and the advice of messing with height adjustment before spending any money.

I'll add that the low-wind Lollar Imperials are also great.
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Sustainz wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Value for money I would go for the Annies. The Classic 57's seem to work very well in my 339 if you back them off the strings a bit, they are a bit thicker and warmer than the Annies but not quite as clean if that makes any sense.

+1 on the DiMarzios and the advice of messing with height adjustment before spending any money.

I'll add that the low-wind Lollar Imperials are also great.
Seriously considering the 36th anni option. Very good price wise and they seem to cover what I want quite well.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1645 times
Been liked: 1310 times

Post by Jay »

Seriously considering the 36th anni option. Very good price wise and they seem to cover what I want quite well.
Happy for you to try my gold ones, I know you are going to want chrome covers, but at least you would have satisfied yourself that they are indeed what you want before spending any money.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 661 times
Been liked: 566 times

Post by TmcB »

jvpp wrote:
Happy for you to try my gold ones, I know you are going to want chrome covers, but at least you would have satisfied yourself that they are indeed what you want before spending any money.
Heh, I'll swap you my Zebra ones for your golds so I can have a proper LP Custom
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jvpp wrote:
That sounds too logical!
...yes good idea. Pitty I have to work all weekend.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Air classics are funny pickups. The neck one sounds a bit like a single coil. Bridge one is similar too; it's like having a not quite so clear parallel HB. They're ... Odd, ya gotta play them to see. Not particularly grunty but very very sweet - Great if you want absolute clarity, but they get kinda piercing when any drive is added.
Source: had them in my V.

36th's are the shit. The only reason I haven't had them in more guitars is that I'm too impatient for the colour I want to come into the country, and the bridge (as angry as it is) isn't quite as hot as I'd like. The neck one's awesome. However, one will be going into my murray build.
Source: Had them in my LP classic. They replaced burstbuckers which were absolutely awful.

57 classics are great too; very clear, even with drive. Neck one was a bit bassy but man, save that, they really surprised me. They sound hotter than you'd expect so prepare for that. Source: 61ri SG.

SD 59 set would be my cop out option if you can't get hold of anything else. A 59 in the neck is pretty good. On a spectrum I'd put it nearer an air classic than a PAF 36th though. If you do end up with this, I'd chuck something a wee bit angrier in the bridge that isn't a JB.
Source: Various guitars I've played and put 59's in for people (Washburn prs copy thing, old old epiphone LP).
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm a big fan, as I mentioned, of the Pearly Gates and the Seth Lovers by SD. I have the Pearly in the neck of my 335. :)
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

As per usual a great set of options!
Great thing about pups is if you don't likem you can always change em!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3523 times
Been liked: 723 times

Post by Cdog »

+1 for pearly gates... something cool happens in the overdrive zone with them, they can really sparkle
feel compelled to recommend Lollar imperials too, expensive but dreamy in my semihollow... all that with better than average coil-tapness