Learn me on P-90 Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Learn me on P-90 Pickups

Post by codedog »

The current model Epi LP Special is my first foray into P-90 pickups. I don't think the bridge pickup is much, if any, hotter than the neck. Is this a common setup for 2x P-90s? I can always wind back the volume on the neck pickup to keep it cleaner, but that depends very much on the amp or pedal. Some respond to that but, even then, they may not always sound great. I had the impression LP Specials are a bit of a rock guitar. Then again, Larry Carlton plays one too, a 57 original. No idea what pickups are on it.

I'm considering trying out some Tonerider vintage neck and hot bridge. Before I go there, I'm curious about how people are using their P-90 guitars.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Learn me on P-90 Pickups

Post by Molly »

I don't like hot pickups, personally. The SD P90s that came as stock in a few PRSs I've had were too hot. I guess it depends what you're going for.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Molly wrote:I don't like hot pickups, personally. The SD P90s that came as stock in a few PRSs I've had were too hot. I guess it depends what you're going for.
I don't like hot neck pickups but it would be nice to have the bridge hotter than the neck.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Adjusting pickup height is your friend.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

P90s respond better to thicker strings, chuck some 11s on there, on the Gibson scale it will feel like 10s anyway in standard :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

codedog wrote: I don't think the bridge pickup is much, if any, hotter than the neck. Is this a common setup for 2x P-90s?
yes in my experience
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Starfire wrote:Adjusting pickup height is your friend.
This is the correct answer.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Adjusting the height is free, and gives a really wide range of tones, further away is darker/quieter, closer in is brighter/louder.

I tend to drop the bass(!) side a little more so sustain is more even over the thicc to thin strings.

Next cheapest option is mess with the wire quality, pots and caps, but since you have just got it better to maximise and hear what you have before dropping more cash on wire/caps/pots.

Then I would move to swapping pick-ups only after messing with those other options!
Tin arse!!

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Starfire wrote:Adjusting pickup height is your friend.
THIS. I have two P90 equipped guitars and I have found pup height to be key. Before you go ahead and buy new ones, if you haven't already, have a tweak. Personally, I set the neck really quite low with treble side slightly closer to strings than bass side. I then give the pole screws a bit of lift to bring out some snap. I find the bridges need to be pretty close to the strings to get the balls p90's are known for (approx 2-3mm) from string. Because they are this close, I then screw in the poles a little to take some edge off. Not sure if this is the case with Epi, but Gibson P90 neck and bridge are exactly the same outputs, which accounts for the challenge in balancing. Volume plays a huge part too and having the 2v 2t setup works a treat I find. I also think good quality 500k+ pots are imperative, and 50's wiring don't hurt none either, then you can back of bridge tone to 6 or 7 which thickens it up but still retains a certain clarity. I love me some p90.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've never tried adjusting poles on any of my pickups. Will try it.

Oh and your advice echoes the advice grantb gave me with p90s. Bridge really close, and neck really far away :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

AiRdAd wrote:I've never tried adjusting poles on any of my pickups. Will try it.

Oh and your advice echoes the advice grantb gave me with p90s. Bridge really close, and neck really far away :-)
I didn't think of that. I kinda do this for my Strat already, to a lesser extent perhaps. Will give it a go.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

codedog wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I've never tried adjusting poles on any of my pickups. Will try it.

I didn't think of that. I kinda do this for my Strat already, to a lesser extent perhaps. Will give it a go.
My ears just aren't able to pick up the subtle differences that adjusting pole pieces create. Pickup height I can get across a decent range but it's mostly by eye not ear.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I have never adjusted pole pieces, not sure I'd bother either. My ears are not that discerning.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Absolutely agree with Terexgeek and IMOCD.
I'm no P90 expert but I have 2 current impressions, the Reverend 3x p90 posted elsewhere and this thing:

031.JPG
031.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 5309 times
I'd describe the Reverend's pups as fatter, more powerful single coils. If you predominantly play single coils, these things will startle you.

Now to the golden beast above; bit of a story, sorry.
I acquired this through one of the most memorable acts of generosity I have ever received and it's worth the telling.

I had expressed interest in acquiring an SE One right here. And I started an active search on TM. Some fruitless time later I get a PM from Jellybelly, " Look what I just bought!"
"Fuck! I've got a TM search for those and I never even saw it.. How does Troy do that?"
"Actually, I bought it for you; saw you wanted one. This is what I paid, If you want it, sweet. If not, no problem."
Thanks Troy, I'll never forget that.
There's also another story about tuners and don't think I've forgotten that either Mate.

ANYWAY!!!!!! P90s....

Didn't like the PRS P90 it came with. It was OK, but bland, no personality.
Swapped for an Entwistle. Cheap and not bad at all, definitely an improvement.
But I had ordered a Lollar Overwound P90. Given I prefer low output pups, it's not entirely clear to me why I did this.

What I created was an extremely cranky Rottweiler. It's scary to play, sure but the worst thing is its total domination of the sonic landscape. This is a trio guitar... with bass and drums behind. For my collaborations, it's just boorish.

But it's fantastic, I love it. One day maybe, I can be in a band playing molten blues slide licks. This is what it lives for.

Way TL:DR.

P90's vary...a lot. Define your sound and look for pups tuned that way. I have 2 P90 guitars in reach. One channels Knopfler and the other talks to the Devil.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote:Absolutely agree with Terexgeek and IMOCD.
I'm no P90 expert but I have 2 current impressions, the Reverend 3x p90 posted elsewhere and this thing:
P90's vary...a lot. Define your sound and look for pups tuned that way. I have 2 P90 guitars in reach. One channels Knopfler and the other talks to the Devil.
Interesting. Would it be too much to ask for the neck pickup to channel Knopfler, and the bridge to channel the Devil? Come to think of it, it will end up sounding like 2 guitars.