Stock Gibson Pickups - A potted history

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Stock Gibson Pickups - A potted history

Post by Molly »

Changed the strings on my '03 LP Classic last night and took a peek at the pickups. Made me wonder if anybody knows what pickups they've used over the years and what their characteristics are thought to be? Are there too many for that to be realistic?

This is what's in my '03 Classic.

PAF.JPG
PAF.JPG (54.46 KiB) Viewed 3058 times

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Stock Gibson Pickups - A potted history

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Trouble is everyone's "judgement" and "descriptions" are different, making it an almost impossible task.

For example, I like Classic 57's but they do have an "edge" to them that some will call harsh ;-)
Last edited by sizzlingbadger on Mon May 24, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:46 am Trouble is everyones "judgement" and "descriptions" are different, making it an almost impossible task.

For example I like Classic 57's but they do have an "edge" to them that some will call harsh ;-)
Kind of figured as much. I often see the same ones being sold on TM so figure they're unpopular and regularly upgraded. Can't think what their name is at the moment.

I've only tried these through my THR10 so it's too soon to comment.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

There are a lot...and all a nuance on the same thing. 57’s are cool, and yes they do have an upper edge to them, but a lot of mainstream Gibson buckers from 1960 to now have also. But by era there are differences. For some reason, even with construction changes, P90s have been relatively consistent sounding since 1960
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I have only ever played 1 set of Gibson pickups... 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus pair. I can't recall details but I liked them, compared to other humbuckers I have tried. It was a nice set to play.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Molly wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:48 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:46 am Trouble is everyones "judgement" and "descriptions" are different, making it an almost impossible task.

For example I like Classic 57's but they do have an "edge" to them that some will call harsh ;-)
Kind of figured as much. I often see the same ones being sold on TM so figure they're unpopular and regularly upgraded. Can't think what their name is at the moment.

I've only tried these through my THR10 so it's too soon to comment.
My buddy Josh at Homewrecker pickups told me the most commonly replaced pickups for them are the 490T and R.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:45 am

My buddy Josh at Homewrecker pickups told me the most commonly replaced pickups for them are the 490T and R.
That's what I was thinking of. I guess they must be pretty muddy-sounding or something like that?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I’ve got a set of 57s in my epiphone LP at the moment and really like them actually. I’ve heard mixed reports on them.
My old 97 LP Standard had Burst Buckers (maybe 2?) and they had more articulation but I never really liked them tbh. To much high treble on the bridge and a bit muddy on the neck. Had a few Gibson with the 490/490t? Sets, they were ok, not sure if I’d say they were worse than the burst buckers, hotter I think.
I also had a T Top in a 91 SG standard (replaced the original 490) which people raved about all over the interwebs and I never liked, sounded weak and dull compared say a Classic 57. Everyone has a different opinion though!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I Like the Classic 57s, and the Custom Burstbuckers. I also like the SD alinco pro II (a bit more bluesy) and the Lollar Imperials. If I want a higher output or more mids, I'll use a boost pedal.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I like the 490 set but I think they are a bit too "inbetween" - too hot to PAF but not quite mid gain. Probably why they get swapped out so often. Also because they are the most common set.
I think they are both A2 magnets too which isn't my first pick for bridge pickups. A2 have a certain sound about them. If the 490T had an A5 magnet I think there would be less changing.
Doesn't everyone feel compelled to change something on a Gibson they buy anyway? unless it's a posh one?

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Molly wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:01 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:45 am

That's what I was thinking of. I guess they must be pretty muddy-sounding or something like that?
The opposite on the bridge I heard - too bright and shrill. Gibson's bumph says "... but with a modern edge that delivers a more contemporary tonal range..." so make of that what you will. There's reviews on Sweetwater saying they're the best bridge pup going so who knows? People like to change stuff for the sake of changing stuff I guess, also today I feel we're coming out of a high-output pickup phase and going into more low-medium output for clarity and articulation under high gain. Maybe the 490T was just anachronistic.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I still think about the zebra 61 pickups I put in an epiphone studio to brighten it up and then flicked it on. Dumb move. They were cool pickups and deserved better. A5 scatterwound coils and one coil over wound for deliberate mismatch. You could get some cool summing options with those on a super switch. I was a rookie back then but I recall twangy/snappy and bright

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Mattallica wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:44 am I still think about the zebra 61 pickups I put in an epiphone studio to brighten it up and then flicked it on. Dumb move. They were cool pickups and deserved better. A5 scatterwound coils and one coil over wound for deliberate mismatch. You could get some cool summing options with those on a super switch. I was a rookie back then but I recall twangy/snappy and bright
All that sounds like my cuppa tea. Especially if it's unpotted.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

490’s can sound good...need to match with right pots
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves