EMG 81 Actives.

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

EMG 81 Actives.

Post by Imbalance »

Thoughts on these pickups?

Matt
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Matt »

Thats what im getting in my custom which is being built at the moment. Wicked pickup from what i've played. Extremely clear notes, even with super-high distortion. Metal beast. I'd definatly recommend it, for both bridge and neck - even though most people would say its for bridge.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

people who say EMGs are sterile and lack "feel" are full of bullshit... imo that's probably just what they lack.

on the other hand, if you just dont like Deathbuckers then fair enough.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I think part of that clinical/sterile reputation comes from them being so expensive that only doctors can afford them.... :shock:

But seriously... its more likely that the kind of soulless-winged-death-prong gats that often have them fitted are giving the super high fidelity pickups nothing to work with. Passive Bartolinis may have the same problem - too much clarity can show you just how crap your guitar or your playing really is. The EMG equipped T-bird bass I recently did brought its owner to find he had nowhere to hide when he made mistakes live, because it all came through loud and clear.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

hmmm... but they aren't really as unforgiving as people say though...

one issue that provokes the "sterile" accusation i guess would be that they sound fairly similiar in different guitars because of the internal preamp... however that's only a problem if you want diff sounds from each of your guitars.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Do they sound the same in different guitars? I haven't seen them in much other than basswood RGs and the kind myself, so couldn't say otherwise. Also, there aren't many types to choose from. Only 4 or 5 HB models, compared with about 30 from SD and DiM.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

well they are supposed to, because they run an internal preamp within the epoxy casing that is the EMG pickup... well i guess the lack of variety is because they are supposed to be clear and defined enough to suit most applications. 81 is the Deathbucker, 85 is high output PAF, 89 is the splittable 85, 60 is the smooth almost single coil-ish neck pickup, and god knows what the rest are...

personally, i liked the EMGs i had, would like to have some again at some point, but with my penchant for leaving my guitars plugged in, it would be a small fortune in batteries... i'm surprised it lasted til i sold the guitar :lol:

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

Haha, well after giving my guitar a good trashing i love these pickups aye. The sustain in them is awesome, although that may party be due to the guitar, the pickup is still everything i could have hoped for. Duel 81's both in the neck and bridge and they sound awesome. How much battery do Actives chew up anyway?

lionking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by lionking »

I have them in most of my strats....tried other types but always came back to them.I dunno,I just prefere them.If and when I get a Lespaul though I doubt Ill put them in that cause Lespauls scream and sustain forever with stock pups.Zak likes them though.......

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

Zakk likes 85's. 81's have that real crunch to them. I spend most of my time on the bridge surprisingly, too much black metal i think lol.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Zakk's set is 81/85.

81 at bridge. :roll:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

While I've had bad experiences with active pickups, the dillenger guys seem to have big active pre amps built into their guitar, and they get tone that I dig

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

slash-ed wrote:Zakk's set is 81/85.

81 at bridge. :roll:
He must be the man then.
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace what ever may come.

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

slash-ed wrote:Btw, he IS the man.
Yes, yes he is.
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

MunkyWrench
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MunkyWrench »

well, my jackson warrior has been sitting in pieces for a year now. BUt its ok, cos I just bought everything i need to assemble it from guitarparts.co.nz.
So I can try out zakk wylde's expensive black bricks that are sitting on my desk.

Now for some spray paint...