EMG 81 Actives.

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Matt
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Matt »

MunkyWrench wrote:well, my jackson warrior has been sitting in pieces for a year now. BUt its ok, cos I just bought everything i need to assemble it from guitarparts.co.nz.
So I can try out zakk wylde's expensive black bricks that are sitting on my desk.

Now for some spray paint...
nice 4 month bump.
ill be getting my new gat with 81/85 tomorrow... thanks ash :D

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

cool mate, pics - soundclips etc reqd. :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

humphreybear
Ashton
Ashton

Post by humphreybear »

i like them but it annoys me that you need to keep replacing batteries but its worth it coz of their wicked sound!

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

ash wrote:Do they sound the same in different guitars? I haven't seen them in much other than basswood RGs and the kind myself, so couldn't say otherwise. Also, there aren't many types to choose from. Only 4 or 5 HB models, compared with about 30 from SD and DiM.
They don't sound exactly the same, naturally, but there's definitely an 'EMG sound' that they make in all the guitars I've tried with them fitted. Earlier this year I was helping my brother decide on a new guitar and we tried pretty much every guitar on the market with the venerable 81/85 combo, from ESP/Ltds to Gibson LPs to even a Fender flathead tele (although I think that was 81/60).

Tone and feel they do not lack, but versatility they do, as you are kind of stuck with the EMG sound. But as it's such a cool sound, it's not that much of a problem.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

It would be interesting to compare EMGs as a family with Bartolinis or SD Livewires to see whether the similarity tansferred to pickups with laminated cores or an on-board preamp.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Danger Mouse wrote:
ash wrote:Do they sound the same in different guitars? I haven't seen them in much other than basswood RGs and the kind myself, so couldn't say otherwise. Also, there aren't many types to choose from. Only 4 or 5 HB models, compared with about 30 from SD and DiM.
They don't sound exactly the same, naturally, but there's definitely an 'EMG sound' that they make in all the guitars I've tried with them fitted. Earlier this year I was helping my brother decide on a new guitar and we tried pretty much every guitar on the market with the venerable 81/85 combo, from ESP/Ltds to Gibson LPs to even a Fender flathead tele (although I think that was 81/60).

Tone and feel they do not lack, but versatility they do, as you are kind of stuck with the EMG sound. But as it's such a cool sound, it's not that much of a problem.
That's kinda the feeling I am getting with my Dimebucker, actually... It's actually pretty cool, despite all claims to the contrary. But the thing is... with the mids on full, you're still fairly in scoop territory... so wtf happens if you turn them DOWN? And there's nowhere to go up from there...
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world