Strat Players - Pickup Selections and bridge/trem preference

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Ash, a single coil sized P90 in the bridge is a great option. Still single coil but fat with bite. I have a manufactuere if you want names...otherwise it has to be pure single coil all the way...a Strat is a Strat is a Strat....
Spill the beans, dude. The SD Quarter Pound Strat pickup and maybe the Rio Grande Tall Boy can get P90 fatness. What others can you suggest?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Tsuken wrote: I think it'd be nice to have the option, so it's locks down when you're not using the bar (or with a string break) as you mentioned.
Just found another product that does just that: http://www.tremol-no.com

Crushing Day may wish to pursue them through his Allparts contact.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

grolschie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by grolschie »

Yeah I recent put a Fender bridge in my strat, and wish I'd bought a hard-tail. :-(

grolschie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by grolschie »

ash wrote:
Tsuken wrote: I think it'd be nice to have the option, so it's locks down when you're not using the bar (or with a string break) as you mentioned.
Just found another product that does just that: http://www.tremol-no.com

Egad! See the price on that thing?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Post by Bg »

grolschie wrote:Yeah I recent put a Fender bridge in my strat, and wish I'd bought a hard-tail. :-(
I figured if I'm not going to use the trem, it makes sense to bang on a hardtail rather than bothering to get a trem installed and then blocking it ;) Besides if I want to use the trem, I'll use another of the strats ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Ash, it's Vintage Vibe Guitars in the States...no big brander, and I've harped on about his stuff before. They totally rock...I have one in the middle position on my Fernandes - bright but fat...would be great at the bridge. It's a true P90 in a single coil shape - only visible difference is the P90 screw pole pieces. Actually, I always reckoned a Tele bridge pickup would be good in a strat. They seem have more bite and guts than a standard Strat.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

ash wrote:The SD Quarter Pound Strat pickup and maybe the Rio Grande Tall Boy can get P90 fatness.
I've got the Rio Grande tallboy humbucker in the bridge of my current strat.

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=

I can put some quick soundclips together if anyone wants to hear it
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

ash wrote:[Just found another product that does just that: http://www.tremol-no.com

cool 8). I like the idea of the 'dive only' feature to give you an EVH type setup with a Floyd. I'll check on availability, and probably get one in for review with my next order.

Kerchang
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Kerchang »

ash wrote:Thanks for the input, guys. Your comments have mostly confirmed my preference for something a little more versatile in the bridge position.

I have another question for you:

Again in the context of classic strattiness, what is your bridge preference?

There are three reasonably authentic, classic stratty options: Vintage 6-screw trem, Hardtail or Modern 2-point fulcrum trem like a Wilkinson VS100 or similar....

No, Floyds are for super strats, not classic strats.
My current preference is for a wilkinson with some kind of locking mechanism to fix the trem when its not being used or when a string breaks. Hardtail is very tempting though.

How say you, savages?
I have a traditional six screw trem on my strat, use it sparingly [strictly no dive bombs], and really love it. I have the bridge sitting up against the screws so it only moves down, instead of floating, so if a string breaks tuning stays in. In use it works fine, if things sound out of tune when I finish having a whammy moment a quick pull up on the arm puts it back where it needs to be. Having said all that, I'd live comfortably with a hardtail strat to.
Live at the Filament!!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

crushing day wrote:I can put some quick soundclips together if anyone wants to hear it
yes please, I'd like to hear eruption played while standing on your head juggling a brace of kippers...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

> juggling a brace of kippers...

With milk?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

no pressure then ;)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

no pressure at all mate, in your own time... now.... go!

grolschie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by grolschie »

Just tried a Rio Grande "Stelly" in the bridge of my strat. There is no way that the old USA Fender bridge pup is going back in now. 4th position still has strat twang. 5 position has heaps of bite and sounds great with heaps of gain. Finally a usable bridge pup that still sounds like a single coil. Great for power chords. Obviously more tele-like by design. I am stoked so far. Added a neck-on push-pull switch volume pot and the sound with neck and bridge combined is real nice! Give it a try.