Strat Players - Pickup Selections and bridge/trem preference

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

tune-o-matic? :P
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Vintage 6-screw trem, hard against the body in a Strat.

I don't even know where the whammy bars for my non-FR guitars are, it would just be asking for trouble to put them in and use them. In saying that, I can use the trem on my Strat, and it stays in tune. I suspect the brass nut helps that, but I have been known to speak utter bollocks on these matters in the past...
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I used to use the classic trem a bit on my strats but I've found I get more control using finger vibrato and I'm much better at it, so now I've blocked the trem on my original strat and I like the hardtail on the new one :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Unfinished
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Unfinished »

I don't have a problem with hardtail, but if I was going for a tremolo, it would be a VS100 / VSVG (what's the difference between the two anyway?)

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

If you want a whammy bar get a superstrat and go the whole hog. If you want a strat go hardtail. My thoughts if I was to own a Strat. Anyway you get superior sustain with a hardtail and maybe if you don't carve out the back for the springs it might improve the bridge tone. Does that make sense? :?

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

nah mate, not a shred of sense there. if you want sustain, you increase the gain knob :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

bluesgeek wrote:I like the hardtail on the new one :)
How's that going so far, BG? Is the girly art stuff done, or is it still in surgery?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Unfinished wrote:VS100 / VSVG (what's the difference between the two anyway?)
VS100 is a 2-point fulcrum floater with solid stainless saddles.
VSVG is a six-screw vintage style thing with bent steel sheet saddles.

VSVG is definetly the way to go for pure vintage vibe, but the VS100 is more stable and can be fitted with Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles, which is always a good option to have up your sleeve. Actually, they can probably both take Ghost saddles, but its kind of defeating the purpose of specifying bent steel saddles if you're only going to replace them...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ash wrote:
bluesgeek wrote:I like the hardtail on the new one :)
How's that going so far, BG? Is the girly art stuff done, or is it still in surgery?
still waiting for the arty farty girly designer to get her A into G... also I like it too much to dismantle at the moment :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Have you noticed any tonal or feel characteristics attributable to the hardtail (ignoring of course that it has different pickups and wood from your others..)?

I would expect that it feels a little firmer to play and is more twangy than shimmery...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

its definitely firmer, the strings need just a little more effort to bend - which is a good thing ;) I've really got to sit down and do a good A/B comparison WITHOUT the POD as that tends to colour most guitars the same way. Hopefully I'll get some free time this weekend to do it, instead of working 20 hour days :(

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I've got a 2-pointer which is floating at the moment, even though I never use the bar. :?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I don't even know where my tremelo arm for my Strat is, so I'm down with hardtail.

My Strat pups are Bill Lawrence noiseless, with a twin blade at the bridge, controlled by a Fender TBX tone control.

I only ever use bridge pup when I want to cut someone's ears off, otherwise, I'm happiest at neck pup.

Oh, yes - and maple all the way!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Ash, a single coil sized P90 in the bridge is a great option. Still single coil but fat with bite. I have a manufactuere if you want names...otherwise it has to be pure single coil all the way...a Strat is a Strat is a Strat....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

While I'm not "a strat guy", the only thing I would want a strat for is "the classic strat sound", which as BG has said, really comes down to three actual single coils.

As for bridge, like Gelato I've never had any luck actually using the bar and staying in tune on non-FR guitars ... but then they've always been crappy non-FR guitars ;) I think it'd be nice to have the option, so it's locks down when you're not using the bar (or with a string break) as you mentioned.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins