Duncan Dimebucker

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Duncan Dimebucker

Post by slash-ed »

Anyone have/had one of these? Always been curious to know what they actually sound like - have heard lots of constrasting reviews about them. Not sure if it's just a matter of taste, or they're really crap... Just wondering, toying with the idea of buying one to fit in a guitar, but not sure if I should shell out the extra $$ for it.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Post by 1964 »

These appear to be based on a prototype BL L-500L+ that Dime was sent by BL. So basically, output and tone should be in-between the L and XL you've already tried. These were introduced after BL’s patent expired, and are another of SD’s many copycat offerings. Can't comment as to how good a copy they are though. I guess the good thing is they’re readily available.
Last edited by 1964 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Ahh, I was waiting for your response. What are among SD's other copycat offerings? I'm quite curious. I find their recent move giving Dave Mustaine of all people a signature pickup set quite stupid.

How close would you reckon the Dimebucker is to what Dime gave them to analyse? One up on those "other" BLs, at least?

Post by 1964 »

Pretty much all of SD's early models are copies of other makers products. Then he started playing around with magnets, which is why you often read that ceramic magnets sound harsh, which isn't surprising when they're just put in a circuit designed for alnico. Then, more tweaks, etc. SD isn't exactly known for original, innovative designs. The success of SD is inextricably linked to getting the pickups in the hands of famous musicians and an exceptionally strong marketing machine.

Post by 1964 »

I haven't heard one of the Dimebuckers myself, but I understand they're a little harsh. It would be hard for them to be as bad as those others you mention.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Well, I'm very happy with the XL/R now actually - finally managed to tame them abit with respect to amp and height and all that, although I still agree it would probably sound much better pushing a tube amp. If you ever have any spares around (again), please let me know 8)

Post by 1964 »

I don't usually get the 500's in, but if I find a twin 'bucker guitar I'm happy with, I'll probably be ordering a lower output set for myself. Next time I order some 500's I'll hopefully remember to ask if you want some.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Sounds great :wink:

Post by 1964 »

Video demo of the current production Dean from Hell with genuine BL L-500XL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW2ueHH26LA

MunkyWrench
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MunkyWrench »

1964 wrote:I don't usually get the 500's in, but if I find a twin 'bucker guitar I'm happy with, I'll probably be ordering a lower output set for myself. Next time I order some 500's I'll hopefully remember to ask if you want some.
Let me know too, I'd love to try one in my jackson.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Uh, 1964 has been banned.

MunkyWrench
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MunkyWrench »

oh, am i allowed to ask why?

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes you are.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

MunkyWrench
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MunkyWrench »

strike that I read the anouncements thread. eek. He really gets stuck in huh. Anyway nuff of that.

I'd love to hear the dimebucker, it should be a good pickup, if only a ripoff, atleast they copied one of the best!
How do they compare to BL L500's in price?