Bare Knuckle Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by DarcyPerry »

Kev77 wrote:I met the bareknuckles guy.,. hes quite mad, a kung fu master or somthing,., so by going by the musician MAD + music = good stuff goes, hes the freakn guru
That's the kind of equation I can relate to.

I like the idea of a neck pup humbucker with at least 15k output.

Bare Knuckles or Bulldogs may be the way to go.
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

from the customer feedback i have had... the Crunchbox and Punchbox are fairly monstrous.

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=

In comparison, The BBQ Buckers are a big ballsy output and rated at 12k. Ash did explain to me on the weekend why some pickups with higher DC ratings are weaker than others with lower ratings (resistance maybe?) ... but i can't remember now :)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

My first pickup I made from a set of pole magnets, which I made by cutting up some 1/4" steel rod and magetising the pieces with a car battery and then used some weetbix packet (really) for the former. Wax dipped, insulation tape around the magets, then wound by hand. I didn't count the turns. It worked ok for the time. 1962.

Last ones I've made have also been wound by hand, although I wound a few when I worked at a motor rewinders firm and used their coil winders.

All in all - I just wouldn't bother any more. It takes a long time and you get better results buying someone else's expertise, imo.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

crushing day wrote: Ash did explain to me on the weekend why some pickups with higher DC ratings are weaker than others with lower ratings (resistance maybe?) ... but i can't remember now :)
Numbers like "15k" as often quoted for output are actually DC resistance. That tells you a bit about the combined effect of how much wire is wound on there and how thin it is. But that all means nothing when there's an ac current induced in the coil from a vibrating string.

The usual and very general rule of thumb is a higher dc resistance equals higher output, but its only 70% true. There are plenty of 12kOhm (12,000 Ohms resistance) pickups that will out grunt other 15kOhm pickups.

The difference has to include the magnet type, construction, proximity to the strings and pole peices, the polepeice type blah blah...

Some brands like DiMarzio give a voltage output figure which is better, but only applicable for the A string tuned to 220Hz and plucked with a standard force with standard pole height. Some pickups will be louder in the bass or treble or whatever.

The best measure is inductance measured in milli-Henries (mH) which only Bill Lawrence gives data for. Inductance is still not a perfect representation, but pretty reliable because it takes into account magnetic structure and frequency response almost regardless of pickup type.

Higher inductance = higher output = darker tone

Assuming you are considering pickups with identical construction, magnets and wire you can make the same guess based on resistance, but it won't apply linearly or accurately if you change the other parameters, like comparing a single coil with a humbucker or an alnico humbucker with a ceramic humbucker or a rail with a stack etc.

Taking all that into account, a 15k neck pickup in an invitation for muddiness in many cases.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Ash pwns. 8)
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

I may be a flogging a dead horse here, but with regard to Bare Knuckle Pickups - I've owned both a calibrated set of Mules (in a Les Paul Custom which I've now sold) and a calibrated set of the new Steve Stevens' signature Rebel Yells (in a Tokai LS150 '59 Replica LP Standard). Both my experiences with BKPs have been way beyond my expectations (even considering the price), both in terms of sound quality and customer service. Tim Mills really knows what he's doing, producing hand-wound pickups of vastly superior quality to anything I've ever heard or played (though admittedly, my playing experiences are limited to the mainstream brands like Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson, Fender etc). On top of that, he's a really friendly, helpful guy (and a top notch guitarist in his own right) who will respond personally to your emails and offer excellent advice.

I highly recommend Bare Knuckle Pickups to anyone who can afford to pay that little bit extra (you really get what you pay for). And no, I'm not on commission.

Jono
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jono »

I've got some Country Boys waiting to go into my Tele when she goes away for her next setup. I'm expecting great things...