5 way switch Lug problems!

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

lucky13sp
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

5 way switch Lug problems!

Post by lucky13sp »

I'm wiring a strat, the 5 way switch i got from guitarparts [thanks C.D] is a 5 way however it has the 8 lugs all in a row on the same side, how does this correspond to CRL -style 5 way switches which have 2 rows of 4 lugs? Ash? anyone?

the 5 way looks like this:

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=

[you can't see the lugs in the pic clearly apart from the first 2 but that's the one i'm using]

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

this should help :)
Attachments
switch-wiring.jpg
switch-wiring.jpg (55.77 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

with dodgy wiring and burnt insulation? :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

lucky13sp

Post by lucky13sp »

crushing day wrote:this should help :)
awesome thanks! time to fire up the soldering iron :twisted: i'll let ya know how i go

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

A 5-way switch is actually two swithces side-by-side. On the CRL style they have four terminals (common/P1/P2/P3) on each side. The Korean style like you have there run them all in a row (T1/T2/T3/Common/Common/P3/P2/P1)

Both the common terminals are usually joined together as the hot output to the volume knob.

The "P" terminals each take a hot wire from a pickup.

The "T" terminals are then used to activate the Neck and middle tone controls in the appropriate positions on a strat, or to coil-tap a bridge or neck humbucker on a superstrat or similar.

In other words... What he said. ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

lucky13sp

Post by lucky13sp »

Cheers Ash i'm pretty sure understand that now [after reading your post 3 times :wink: ] anyway the strat works now [albeit with only 2 pickups, neck + middle as i don't yet have a bridge SC but i'm in no rush as i hardly use the bridge SC on strats anyway] thanks for the help guys pics in a week or so.[/list]