EMG Equilvalent

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

EMG Equilvalent

Post by DaNextSlash »

I'm looking for a pickup that is what the title says. High meaty ballsy but non-battery required output. Costs will be a big factor also....

Any opinions/recommendations welcome
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

sam_the_bogan
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: EMG Equilvalent

Post by sam_the_bogan »

DaNextSlash wrote:I'm looking for a pickup that is what the title says. High meaty ballsy but non-battery required output. Costs will be a big factor also....

Any opinions/recommendations welcome
Personally, i'm pretty happy with my Duncan Invader. Passive and it's pretty meaty. New they are about $150 if you know where to get em. but if one pops up on trademe, you could likely get one for 100 or less.

Other than that... the bill L set the Ed has for sale would be awesome... if you like Pantera or anything like that, buy those pickups.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

You can get high output pickups - but there is no equivalent to EMG pickups. That's why people will still pay out the nose for them. They may sound compressed, lifeless, bla bla bla to certain people, but there's no denying they have a unique sound that a passive pickup just doesn't get.

I have a Duncan Distortion that would fit the bill, I think.

Other than that, I've heard good things about the X2N. Evolution may be a good choice as well. Invader certainly, but I hear they can be a little muddy.

If you can tell us more specifically what sound you're going for (artist, EQ, type of thing) I think we can help better.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

This is for a project I may or may not start....

Basically want metal...something that my LP cant do. My budget will probably be low and wont allow for anything over flashy...

Would be nice if I can sound like the Killswitch guys 8)
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Why? The Killswitch guys have probably the worst 'metal' sound I've heard for a long time and I've been listening to that shit for about 20 years...

The Duncan Distortion Ed is selling is actually pretty good for a passive, but isn't the highest gain you'll get. I have one in my Ibanez but it can be very guitar/wood/tonality dependant. I really like EMGs (85/81 pairs etc) but EMGs are EMGs and for the EMG sound, you need EMGs. Cool, but if you want versatility, something else is going to suit more.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

You've been listening to Killswitch for 20 years?! Non stop?! ;)

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

DaNextSlash wrote:This is for a project I may or may not start....

Basically want metal...something that my LP cant do. My budget will probably be low and wont allow for anything over flashy...

Would be nice if I can sound like the Killswitch guys 8)
There are about 10000 types of metal... I've never listened to Killswitch before though, so I can't really help there.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

I've heard if you stuff nugs of poo where your pickups go it sounds similar to EMG's.

:lol:

Fuck I'm funny.

Maybe some super high output passive pickups could almost get you there?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Jenesis wrote:You've been listening to Killswitch for 20 years?! Non stop?! ;)
:lol: :lol: Well maybe not, but you hear one song and it feels like a 20 year sentence... :wink:
Last edited by Danger Mouse on Fri May 04, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Yeah, can't say I'm a huge fan either. I've got one of their CDs but only dig a couple of songs from it.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Timi wrote:I've heard if you stuff nugs of poo where your pickups go it sounds similar to EMG's.

:lol:

Fuck I'm funny.

Maybe some super high output passive pickups could almost get you there?
Ah, the stereotypical EMG hater :roll:

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

After chatting to Marc at Mojosound for a bit about Bareknuckle pickups, I'm getting a set of Miracle Man pickups, which are passive pickups but tonally are based on Zakk Wylde's tone. I told him I was looking for Metallica's black album tone but with a usable clean (as opposed to a completely shit clean, ala EMGs) and these were the suggestion.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Danger Mouse wrote:Why? The Killswitch guys have probably the worst 'metal' sound I've heard for a long time and I've been listening to that shit for about 20 years...
Are we listening to the same band here? The band who's guitar setup has become the standard for their genre because everyone wants "that" sound? The band who's guitarist is in hot demand as a producer because his albums sound so great? Hmmm.... there must be another Killswitch Engage.

Anyway Jack, I'm afraid you're not going to get that sound just by spending $100 on a pickup. Also, depending on your amp, a high output pickup may just result in a muddy sound.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

sambrowne wrote:After chatting to Marc at Mojosound for a bit about Bareknuckle pickups, I'm getting a set of Miracle Man pickups, which are passive pickups but tonally are based on Zakk Wylde's tone. I told him I was looking for Metallica's black album tone but with a usable clean (as opposed to a completely shit clean, ala EMGs) and these were the suggestion.
Bareknuckles cost even more than EMGs... :?

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

Basket Case wrote:Anyway Jack, I'm afraid you're not going to get that sound just by spending $100 on a pickup. Also, depending on your amp, a high output pickup may just result in a muddy sound.
Yea, I know. This was for the project I was gonna undertake with the school. That guitar building thing. But decided against it....My Tokai is enough for me. And parents want me to focus on scholarships etc etc
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like