Tonerider Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Tonerider Pickups

Post by IkeKrull »

Anyone have any experience with the Tonerider pickups?

I happened to be drunkenly idling on trademe and somehow ended up clicking buy now on a tonerider 'generator' pickup.

This thing would seem to be pretty damn hot at 16K, and i plan to solder it into my schecter in place of the OEM duncan designed pickup this evening.

It was only $60 which seems kind of inexpensive, and the reviews i've read are all fairly glowing - any horror stories?

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

OK, pickup installed

Post by IkeKrull »

Well, that was fun.. soldered the tonerider in, after puzzling over wire colours and coil tap wiring for a bit, and i'd have to say its bloody good for $60.

Can't say it's a whole new world of tone, but then i think the duncan-designed HB103 that was there before wasn't half bad.

Definitely a pleasing increase in note definition, and sustain from chords and harmonics, and a fair bit louder too. No complaints whatsoever.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: OK, pickup installed

Post by Vorbis »

IkeKrull wrote:Well, that was fun.. soldered the tonerider in, after puzzling over wire colours and coil tap wiring for a bit, and i'd have to say its bloody good for $60.

Can't say it's a whole new world of tone, but then i think the duncan-designed HB103 that was there before wasn't half bad.

Definitely a pleasing increase in note definition, and sustain from chords and harmonics, and a fair bit louder too. No complaints whatsoever.
Hey dude,

What sort of Schecter do you have?...Mine has 'Schecter' pups which I expected to be total shite...but they don't sound half bad...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Schecter

Post by IkeKrull »

Its a C1+, its really pretty damn nice. Practically flawless finish, a subtle flame that isnt too over the top, weighty without being bulky, and just awesome to play.

This model has a 24.5" scale, which distinguishes it from most of the others in the C series, and had 'duncan designed' HB103 pickups in it, which are really nice, though i'm more than happy with the pickup swap I just did, after playing a bit more with it, the new pickup seems to accentuate the range of the coil tap - as a single coil, the tonerider pickup has much more 'twang' than the original pickup did, and complements the mellow neck pickup really well - i have no desire to swap the neck pickup, its exactly the sound i want.

Dont have any pics of the actual guitar handy, but this:

http://media.schecterguitars.com/imgs/h ... us_bch.jpg

is the one.

Its a way better guitar than I am a player, but i managed to get it for a damn good price, and its a definite keeper so i figure i'll grow into it. Can't speak highly enough of the schecter, and get compliments from everyone who plays her.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Nice, I like the coil tap option on them...sounds almost stratty.
Big bugger-off frets too.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Isn't that the same one as you got Vorbis?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

HB
Stagg
Stagg

Post by HB »

The toneriders are great pickups regardless of the price IMHO. I ordered a set of the "pure vintage" and was well impressed - not just with the tone, but the construction - these are well made. I even ordered a set of the "classic blues" to try another flavour but the guy had sold his last set to someone in his shop while I bought them on TM. 3 weeks later, I'm still waiting...(edit - been in touch today and I can happily say he's looking after me to fix the mix-up)
Last edited by HB on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2131 times

Post by GrantB »

Re: "glowing reviews...".....I'm now quite cynical about internet reviews (e.g. Harmony Central) etc as it seems only people that want to justify their spend write reviews...so they end up being positive on the most part. There are lots of shit pickups out there that you simply cannot find a bad review on - I suppose HC does try to add some perspective by asking "how long have you been playing guitar for etc etc" ,...so when the dude that's just picked up the electric guitar last month doesn't convert the masses to "HongWa Glory Fun Pickups" because that's all he's ever heard and blown cash on....

Unless it's from a reputed and impartial reviewer I tend to talk to people I trust (in person or internet) before buying something I can't hear and touch....

apologies for slight thread derailment....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Re: "glowing reviews...".....I'm now quite cynical about internet reviews (e.g. Harmony Central) etc as it seems only people that want to justify their spend write reviews...so they end up being positive on the most part. There are lots of shit pickups out there that you simply cannot find a bad review on - I suppose HC does try to add some perspective by asking "how long have you been playing guitar for etc etc" ,...so when the dude that's just picked up the electric guitar last month doesn't convert the masses to "HongWa Glory Fun Pickups" because that's all he's ever heard and blown cash on....

Unless it's from a reputed and impartial reviewer I tend to talk to people I trust (in person or internet) before buying something I can't hear and touch....

apologies for slight thread derailment....
Harmony Central reviews are useful to read if you skip anyone who rates it either a 10 or 1. The averages would be more useful if they used a 'weighted' user rating system like the IMDB uses. IMDB won't reveal the algorithm they use but it looks like they just ignore the tens and zeroes to filter out morons trying to stack the results

Azza
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Azza »

So what's wrong with HongWa Glory Fun Pickups then?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2131 times

Post by GrantB »

They're not as good as the vintage "HongWa Golden Happy Wang Pickups" which used real freshly congealed human rice puke to reduce microphonics ...the modern ones use comercially made "fake" rice puke...it ain't the same...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Tonerider P90

Post by IkeKrull »

OK, curiosity and GAS struck me again, so i put a Tonerider 'Rebel 90' humbucker sized P-90 into the neck position of my Schecter, replacing the 'Duncan designed' humbucker.

Damn, what a sound. Just sounds friggin excellent, and a massive shift in frequency response from the humbucker. I can't believe this isn't a more common configuration, the P90 just fills a gap that i didnt even know existed until i put one in my guitar.

I would make a tone clip, but my playing is the suck.

However, for $57, if you were ever P90-curious, this is the way to go!

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Tonerider Pickups

Post by rocklander »

who's got them retail ?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Post by IkeKrull »

Not sure who retails them, i bought off trademe - from dbmmusic i think?

Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing from an nzguitars perspective - i know theres some traders that the 'don't touch with a bargepole' guideline is in effect for round here, but i can say i have had no problem at all with the prompt delivery of these pickups.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

DBM is fine to deal with if it's something off TM, cos that means it's already in stock. Lotta people here have complained about ordering stuff from the website though.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world