Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: My Tonal Awakening

Post by Scooter13 »

slash-ed wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:I've been paying for singing tuition for the last 6 months. I only took it up so I could do a half decent job at backing vocals in the covers band, but I'm quite enjoying it now, and I'm even singing in a singers concert in a week! It's cool though, because you need very little gear to take it up as a hobby.
Tangent - not directed at you, but it's fucking annoying that actual signers think the very same thing!! Hardly any of the singers I've worked with over the years have owned any gear, if we were lucky maybe they owned a single microphone. That's retarded. If their voice is their instrument, you'd expect them to have the gear to amplify it. It's like being an electric guitar player without an amp. When I decided to try and be a real singer, first thing I did was buy a mic, mixer, and PA speaker.

/rant. Fucking singers.
What's wrong with a 70s tube PA with a single speaker on the ground and a $20 Dick Smith mic? :wink: :lol:

I agree though! I almost started to write what you have said, but I thought it was too much of a tangent from the rest of the post :lol:
Last edited by Scooter13 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Post by Slowy »

How do you know the guy wandering around outside is a singer?

Because he can't find the key and doesn't know where to come in.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

slash-ed wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:I've been paying for singing tuition for the last 6 months. I only took it up so I could do a half decent job at backing vocals in the covers band, but I'm quite enjoying it now, and I'm even singing in a singers concert in a week! It's cool though, because you need very little gear to take it up as a hobby.
Tangent - not directed at you, but it's fucking annoying that actual signers think the very same thing!! Hardly any of the singers I've worked with over the years have owned any gear, if we were lucky maybe they owned a single microphone. That's retarded. If their voice is their instrument, you'd expect them to have the gear to amplify it. It's like being an electric guitar player without an amp. When I decided to try and be a real singer, first thing I did was buy a mic, mixer, and PA speaker.

/rant. Fucking singers.
yeah it's like that with most 'actual singers' (as in don't play any other instruments)
most wouldn't even own their own microphone or mic stand. Goes with the ego
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

druz15 wrote:yeah it's like that with most 'actual singers' (as in don't play any other instruments)
most wouldn't even own their own microphone or mic stand. Goes with the ego
So they pick up their mike, put it in its bag and they think that's THEM sorted for the lug-in/lug-out :P
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

jeremyb wrote: theres way more good players on here than any american forums
So true! I've been amazed/disturbed by how willing they are to post YT clips of godawful playing on American forums. Not to mention pointless 'unboxing' clips too... desperate for any reason to get themselves on the toob.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Scooter13 wrote:
What's wrong with a 70s tube PA with a single speaker on the ground and a $20 Dick Smith mic? :wink: :lol:
Rofl, I didn't realise he was using a $20 Dick Smith mic, that's terrible.

Now that I've started singing, I do feel for him though. He had ONE speaker, which he had to point forward to the crowd, so he could basically never hear himself sing. Probably why he sounded shit all the time.

/ex-bandmates csb
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

slash-ed wrote:

/rant. Fucking singers.
My other singer still uses all my mics still, he did put a bit extra into the vocal pa though, that we all split as a band...
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Anyway... I think you realise the truth of the "tone is in the fingers" thing the first time you hear a better player playing your guitar. The difference can be quite notable.

Fortunately, being an acoustic player, I don't have to go through all that "finding my tone" bullshit. I just play. Maybe one day I'll get a better instrument, but I can still grow into the gear I already have.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

It's the gear that causes the problem. You go hunting for the good sound in equipment when chances are it's right there at your fingertips, for want of digging in and finding it.

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

have just sat down and had a good listen to a recording of myself singing for the first time and it was not an enjoyable experiance,needed to be done tho only way that i will improve,and as long as i can progress forward iwill keep doing it,singing that is

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

critter01 wrote:have just sat down and had a good listen to a recording of myself singing for the first time and it was not an enjoyable experiance,needed to be done tho only way that i will improve,and as long as i can progress forward iwill keep doing it,singing that is
Yip, I wish more singers did this...funniest thing ever was recently recording a whole band at practice, just with one room mic and one of those little boss thingies, and when they heard it, they said, "man, if I thought we sounded like that I'd quit right now!" Granted it wasn't a multi track studio demo take or anything, but it still sounded like them, it actualy wasn't a bad recording for what was used...couldn't make them understand that that is what they sounded like!

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Some singers are very together in terms of covering their end of things and more.

When people complain about the habits of other types of musicians that often means they just haven't "past participle of get" in the same room with the right musicians.

As for why that may be the case, well that's often a job for the man in the mirror.

As far as OP goes: Just as there are amazing musicians happily doing their thing with whatever they have at hand, there are amazing musicians who are total gear nerds. The nerdery isn't directly related to the music.

And the trick with liking gear is to remember the liking bit. I think the emotional angst that gets thrown around on this particular forum by some may overshadow the fact that most of us own and enjoy gear we like, and several of us only buy stuff we have a specific need for.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Hot_Grits wrote:Some singers are very together in terms of covering their end of things and more.

When people complain about the habits of other types of musicians that often means they just haven't "past participle of get" in the same room with the right musicians.

As for why that may be the case, well that's often a job for the man in the mirror.

As far as OP goes: Just as there are amazing musicians happily doing their thing with whatever they have at hand, there are amazing musicians who are total gear nerds. The nerdery isn't directly related to the music.

And the trick with liking gear is to remember the liking bit. I think the emotional angst that gets thrown around on this particular forum by some may overshadow the fact that most of us own and enjoy gear we like, and several of us only buy stuff we have a specific need for.
I started signing because I'd had it with dealing with 'singers'. Even the most talented ones around my age group had no drive or dedication, and usually the ones who cared were absolute crap.
I sucked in the beginning but I think in only 3 years of singing lead I've "past participle of get" a lot better.
Listening to our first proper recordings which were done 2 years ago I don't even sing the same way now, which I think is why I don't like playing our older stuff, I find it hard to sing "worse" to fit the song
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Hot_Grits wrote:and several of us only buy stuff we have a specific need for.
Being one of these, I struggle to understand the pain some purchases seem to cause people. Apparently this takes thick skin and not being weak, but in truth it just takes not being one of the other types.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

My Tonal Awakening

Post by dc »

capt abaham wrote:everything was like that before T-Net interwubz

now it HAS to be Fender this and Gibson that. i still remember the day i first heard about the fender "custom" shop, i thought the guy was lieing.

the internet has shaped many players ears just by looking or hearing with there eyes, so many people listen with there eyes.

before the internet: Flame maple necks were unstable
after the internet: I Love the look of the flame on that neck, where can i buy a flame maple neck aarrgghhh i`m going mad,,, only waarmouth have them, can i order them from here??? who is the agent arrgghhh

it has made me bitter i cry myself to sleep each night. Ben, i`m not saying you are/were a victim of such folly i reckon we all are to some degree. except DC

:cry:
Thanks! I think?