rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Re: First Gig Sloppiness

Post by rickenbackerkid »

+1 to playing regularly. Open mics are awesome for gaining experience and figuring out what works

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

All good posts here - enjoyed reading the experiences and thoughts.
Eruera wrote:What audiences DO notice, almost 100% of the time, is when your body language says that you are unhappy, not playing well and not having a good time. Then they stop having a good time, and may even notice some of your mistakes.
My mate who was drumming, pointed that out to me. He said I was doing fine, apart looking like a statue, scared stiff... I was too engrossed in playing to think about doing anything else. Half of them looked more interested in the rugby that was on the telly anyway.

The good news is, the singer/bassist liked playing with us, and wants to jam and play more - so I'm quite stoked with that. Always wanted to play in a band. His only criticism was that; I rest my palm on the bridge too heavily, which makes the tuning sharp and out of sync with him. Just another lesson to learn aye.
Make Music Great Again

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Clanger wrote:His only criticism was that; I rest my palm on the bridge too heavily, which makes the tuning sharp and out of sync with him. Just another lesson to learn aye.
You must be really pushing down, then :eh:
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Vince wrote:
Clanger wrote:His only criticism was that; I rest my palm on the bridge too heavily, which makes the tuning sharp and out of sync with him. Just another lesson to learn aye.
not if he has a floyd :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have never heard a metallica live recording where james and kirk didn't sound out of tune with each other so don't sweat it :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
Vince wrote:
not if he has a floyd :rofl:
yeah this.... or a set of billy gibbons 6's
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Clanger »

Yea it's a Floyd. Took me a while to get used to it as well, after coming from a Strat. Kinda wish I had something flatter, like a Kahler or something - because I do find the Floyd real high, and can't help but rest on the fine tuners. I didn't have this problem on the Strat, as my palm wasn't resting in a way that it would force the bridge down.

In hindsight I should've blocked it off, as I didn't have the bar in, nor did I need a floater for any of the songs.
Make Music Great Again

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

You didn't own up to the floyd in the first post. :lolno:

Serves you smegging right, playing with the devil. Real men don't let mates play with FRs. It'll be a Tele next, you mark my words. Hanging's too good for
'em :lol:
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Clanger »

:lol: Starting to agree, seeing as I have an issue with it.
Make Music Great Again

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Hey Clanger.

Well done for getting your arse up on a stage and giving it your best shot. Everyone has to start somewhere. You should give yourself a large drink for getting up there and having the balls to give it a crack. Now book the next gig before you talk yourself out of it!

Keep going. You absolutely have to keep going.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Post by jeremyb »

I get nervous enough playing in front of friends, let alone having a proper audience, congrats man, it's a huge first step!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote:I get nervous enough playing in front of friends, let alone having a proper audience, congrats man, it's a huge first step!!
I did a demo for Rob and Greenstone ages ago that was pretty much just to an NZG audience. Try standing up and playing in front of a room full of guitarists, who know who you are.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

jeremyb wrote:I get nervous enough playing in front of friends, let alone having a proper audience, congrats man, it's a huge first step!!
Try playing for strangers 1st. I've had gigs where I'm fine and its all going well, then the mrs shows up with a bunch of friends (cos shes always late) and as soon as I see people I know the nerves come out and my playing goes to shit.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote:
I did a demo for Rob and Greenstone ages ago that was pretty much just to an NZG audience. Try standing up and playing in front of a room full of guitarists, who know who you are.
Now that's way too scary!

It's good to take notice of what you're comfortable with / good at. I can't sing a note. I used to be a fairly good acoustic fingerpicker but I also hate the spotlight and never enjoyed solo performing. (That might have been different if I could sing)

What I do love is being part of a band and hopefully helping to make the song as good as possible. If the singer is the usual 'Look at ME!' showpony, so much the better. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

jimi wrote:
Try playing for strangers 1st. I've had gigs where I'm fine and its all going well, then the mrs shows up with a bunch of friends (cos shes always late) and as soon as I see people I know the nerves come out and my playing goes to shit.
You should play blindfolded. :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster