Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Sliding Powerchords.

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Ok, I'll say it "help"!

I need help!
I've tried to do it for ages, but I still suck.
Im talking about 'sliding powerchords', prolly best example would be the ones in the 'Master of Puppets' riff which is used for the main verse?

I can get the whole 'down the neck' slide, or toward myself. But I just cant get any accuracy, nor pace, in chords going back to the nut!
I really sucks when you have to slide down, then back, and your hand slips like a Mofo.... Argh, smacks of 'amatuer'.

ANyway, im just wondering if anyone has any 'technique tips' or instructions, and so forth?

Help is wanted, I seriously cannot play 'Master..' once more while having to acknowledge that I cant play a certain riff due to a musical disability. :P

Tsuken, Mantermite, Gelato, Polar Bear... You guys, Im kinda looking in your direction? (no offence others :-D)

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

BEst tip I can think of is jsut relax and try to ahve as softer hands as possible.

If there's too much tension in your wrist you'll go all over the fucking shop. A light but firm touch (great discription) is waht you need.
And then practice, it's about the feel, once youve got that nailed.

Don't try to rush it either, jsut go with the beat and after a while you'll be getting there, but try to get a bit of limpness into the wrist, you know I know how to do that well.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Polar Bear wrote:And then practice, it's about the feel, once youve got that nailed.

Don't try to rush it either
That's the sad truth. Practice it slowly. It sucks, it's boring and it sometimes seems a little pointless, but it always works. Concentrate on playing it in time slowly (with a metromone is always a good idea). After a bit of practice it will become like second nature at higher speeds.

Probably doesn't help much if your like me and want to play everything 100 miles an hour straight of the bat though (which usually ends in something like a train wreck) :wink:

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Gelato wrote: Probably doesn't help much if your like me and want to play everything 100 miles an hour straight of the bat though (which usually ends in something like a train wreck) :wink:
So true :(

Yer im persevering :P

Cheers guys, great help :)

MaloS
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MaloS »

wash your hands and strings so neither is oily...

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Gelato wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:And then practice, it's about the feel, once youve got that nailed.

Don't try to rush it either
That's the sad truth. Practice it slowly. It sucks, it's boring and it sometimes seems a little pointless, but it always works. Concentrate on playing it in time slowly (with a metromone is always a good idea). After a bit of practice it will become like second nature at higher speeds.

Probably doesn't help much if your like me and want to play everything 100 miles an hour straight of the bat though (which usually ends in something like a train wreck) :wink:
Ditto on all points (including the train wreck part :? )
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins