Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

johnny mullet
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

reverb tank or reverb pedal?

Post by johnny mullet »

Keen to know peoples thoughts on what's best. Installing a reverb tank in my amp or buying a reverb pedal?

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Re: reverb tank or reverb pedal?

Post by Jenesis »

A pedal will give you more variety and tweakability, a tank much less so. Depends if you want the tweakabilitiez.

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

cheers. Are they all much of a muchness or are some way better? S'pose I was thinking Boss

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

installing a reverb tank isn't a small job, you're better off buying a pedal as long as
a) you have an effects loop
or
b) you run the amp clean and hit it with pedals

I got a EHX Holy Grail Plus recently, does the job really well and has the room reverb on it which I prefer over spring and hall so it was pretty much a no brainer for me. Sounds great.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

johnny mullet wrote:cheers. Are they all much of a muchness or are some way better? S'pose I was thinking Boss
Again, it depends on how much or many reverbs you want. You can start off with a Holy Grail (one switch and one knob), go through to a Boss/Digitech with more modes, or go crazy-ape-bonkers with a Nova or Verbzilla.

And of course then you have your "tone is in the ears" considerations...

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 775 times
Been liked: 260 times

Post by Miza »

I like the look of those Digitech Hardwire Series RV-7.
It's true bypass, and the reverbs are Lexicon (brand?) so are supposed to be studio quality.

Pretty pricey though.
Nothing to see here.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jenesis wrote:
johnny mullet wrote:cheers. Are they all much of a muchness or are some way better? S'pose I was thinking Boss
Again it depends if you want it to be musical or not...
fixed ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

I didn't like the Holy Grail Plus. The room setting was definitely better than the others but I preferred the Marshall Reflector. The plate and spring settings are really cool. I definitely prefer a real spring myself but adding one to an amp would be a serious undertaking. The Hardwire is definitely a good option if you can afford it.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

benderissimo wrote:I didn't like the Holy Grail Plus. The room setting was definitely better than the others but I preferred the Marshall Reflector. The plate and spring settings are really cool. I definitely prefer a real spring myself but adding one to an amp would be a serious undertaking. The Hardwire is definitely a good option if you can afford it.
I only ever use the room so no problem there, it definitely sold me on it, I tried the normal grail and the nano, they weren't worth the extra cash over a behringer.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

BG wrote:
benderissimo wrote:I didn't like the Holy Grail Plus. The room setting was definitely better than the others but I preferred the Marshall Reflector. The plate and spring settings are really cool. I definitely prefer a real spring myself but adding one to an amp would be a serious undertaking. The Hardwire is definitely a good option if you can afford it.
I only ever use the room so no problem there, it definitely sold me on it, I tried the normal grail and the nano, they weren't worth the extra cash over a behringer.
I prefer a verb unit that growls at you when you kick it. :mrgreen:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I have guitars that do that, I want a verb that hints at a bit of space and ambience - I'll leave the guitars to do the grunt.

oh and shit over the top Greeney verb as well, but even an empty bathtub connected to a battery can pull that off

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

but this is the sound I've been chasing, not to everyones tastes but I love this tone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi_3k0l3j4I[/youtube]

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

BG wrote:but this is the sound I've been chasing, not to everyones tastes but I love this tone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi_3k0l3j4I[/youtube]
Sounds dryazabone?

So, you're saying you're chasing a tone that doesn't involve any reverb?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

room ambience, very short but yeah its there in spades - I'm just a subtle guy ;) Been cranking that marshall ;)

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

BG wrote:room ambience, very short but yeah its there in spades - I'm just a subtle guy ;) Been cranking that marshall ;)
When people talk about their ears 'ringing' I think I might have gone beyond that....I just get a high-pitched tone. Hearing damage much?

I thought the room ambience just sounded like an amp cranked up in a smallish room...au natural, but I guess he's using a pedal?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.