Jason Becker

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zakk Wylde
Bourbon soaked 6-string demon
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Jason Becker

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Anyone know much about this lost talent?

I knwo he was part of Cacophony, and that he has Lou gehrigs (sp) so is now immobile and communicates through a series of rapid eye movements.

I just downloaded the most incredible clip of him playing a solo in japan in 1989.
Its insane to say the least... and has made me change my mind on who I believe is the most extraordinary 'shredder'.
So, just to confirm (and most probably open a forum-sized portal to argumentative hell), IN MY OPINION, Jason Becker has replaced Malmsteen as the greatest 'shredder' EVER. :shock:

Lets keep this one on topic please!!

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

Malmsteen is a technical god, but not the greatest by far. My fav shredder is deffinately Romeo. Not the fastest, but his style rules.
"I am the Black Wizard"

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Yip, Becker was a freakin' legend. Perpetual Burn is probably one of the best shred albums out there. He is incredible to watch in videos, especially when he is doing things like shreding with one hand and playing with a yo-yo with the other :roll: The video "The Legend Of Jason Becker" is a great watch, a mix of live performances and documentaries about his current state etc.

Cacophany was pretty stunning as well, I doubt there would have been any other guitar player that could have stood onstage with Marty Friedman and made his playing look pretty average :lol:

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

Baker is God of Shred!!!!!!!!!!!!Forever!~~~~~~~~~`

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Jason Becker is absolutely amazing. (I say "is" - not "was" - because he's still an amazing composer; he just can't play the guitar anymore :( ).

First, his musical talent/ability. He's an amazing composer - songs, riffs, leads, whatever. Perpetual Burn was done when he was 19 or something, but the compositions are so much better than you'd expect for someone that young. I'm not kidding (nor engaging in hyperbole) when I say that I reckon he's a musical genius; I don't give that kind of a compliment easily or often.

Second, his skill as a guitarist. He was absolutely incredible. Sure there are people who can play faster outright, but not with the accuracy, precision, and smoothness he could. Whatever he played, it was so assured and confident. It just sounds so beautiful to listen to; even if what he was playing hadn't been so perfect, his chops were so incredible they're pleasurable to listen to in and of themselves.

Thirdly, he's an amazing person. Watching that video "The Legend of Jason Becker" and seeing his inner peace, courage, and determination in the face of what has to be one of the most awful diseases you could imagine, is just so inspiring (if bloody tragic). - And going back to before he developed ALS, he was never cocky or arrogant, despite his "guitar hero" status, and playing with David Lee Roth to legions of adoring fans and so on. He always just came across as a lovely guy.
Last edited by Tsuken on Thu May 05, 2005 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Zakk Wylde

Post by Zakk Wylde »

He sounds like a legend....

May have to investigate this video to.

Gelato - he does the Yo-yo thing in the clip I have. Its insane. (he even has skill to make faces at the crowd)
More HairMetal than the average Bear!

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

This might a bit off the topic, but I just couldn't understand why heros have to involved in some kind of sad story, like Baker can't play any more, and people like Randy Rhoads, Dimebag, Cliff Burton and Hendreix....... Why this has to be the ending of legend.....

Few month back, I saw a post in ESPfourm about Jasen Baker, no body at there knows who is Baker, WTF! shame on them, most of people there may be only know how to play stuff like Linkinpark or some other shit.

I still keep learing "Speed metal symphony" after 8 years, that song = the way shreder should be.

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

Not all heros go out wiht a bang.
"I am the Black Wizard"

Zakk Wylde

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Can anyone play his version of Paganini's 5th?

I believe its in A, but in a higher position and pace compared to Yngwies version in guitar world.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

He does indeed play it up an octave - for the most part; some bits he had to take down an octave because he would have run out of neck.

...and no, I can't play it :? Maybe I should actually invest some time into it, rather than looking at it for 5 minutes and giving up :? - it's just so scary though ;)

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Tsuken wrote:He does indeed play it up an octave - for the most part; some bits he had to take down an octave because he would have run out of neck.

...and no, I can't play it :? Maybe I should actually invest some time into it, rather than looking at it for 5 minutes and giving up :? - it's just so scary though ;)
Have you got the tab for it (in others words have I got the tab for it and don't know yet :wink: )?

Zakk Wylde

Post by Zakk Wylde »

I have the powertab for it :) so even better.

PM me an email addy..

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Gelato wrote:Have you got the tab for it (in others words have I got the tab for it and don't know yet :wink: )?
:lol: I actually don't know.

Zakk, you'll have PM very soon ;-) (and a cd - I should be able to get myself organised for it this weekend) :oops:

Here be bloggins

Zakk Wylde

Post by Zakk Wylde »

Its all good, I have sent you both the Powertab for it.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

cheers matey.

Tell you what: I'll turn on my iBook now - even though I don't have a cd-r on me - and get it all ready to burn when I get home. 8) How's that?

Here be bloggins