Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

What do you take to a gig?

Post by The Scarecrow »

Just wondering what the line is between being prepared, and being paranoid.

I never used to take anything more to most gigs I was playing besides guitar/pedalboard/amp, but lately, I've started bringing a backup guitar after seeing a few bands break strings and then try and change them between songs. Generally, it's not that much of a hassle I find to sling along another gat to most venues.

Other than that, I tend to keep a small briefcase containing 2 x extra leads, 1x extenstion cable & 1 4 point multiboard, couple of 9v's and patch cables, capo, spare strap, strings and picks. Everyone else much the same, or am I being pedantic?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: What do you take to a gig?

Post by Kev77 »

ear plugs - always
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mitch.twentyfive »

always make sure i have plenty of power supplies and cables.

I've actually been thinking of buying a cable tester also.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

1 amp or 2 amps, depending*
1 guitar or 2 guitars, depending*
Pedaltrain1 board and powerboard in hardcase
Backpack with cables/power extensions/multi-plugs/misc stuff (earplugs/picks)
If needed: 1 utility hardcase with looper/ebow/volume pedal

It's atleast 2 trips to the car and back... So I hate playing Auckland and not finding a park close to back of the venue :D

* depending = If we're headlining, then I might go all out. If we're a support act then I will keep it simple for easy changeovers.
Last edited by MogwaiBoy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Two guitars, otherwise I don't really have much in the way of spares.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

i'd take 2 basses if say, there were 2 songs with really different tunings and I had a thicker set of strings on or something.
But having never broken a bass string in my life i haven't found it necessary.

3-4 trips for me, depending on the help on offer :problem:

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

mitch.twentyfive wrote: But having never broken a bass string in my life i haven't found it necessary
I used to break them all the time.. always the low C (drop) when I played bass in Misled By Lies and hardcore stuff before that. But I think that was because I had the bridge setup wrong on ye olde Samick P.O.S.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Kev77 wrote:ear plugs - always
in a cannister attached to my keys. never leave home without 'em.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Post by Slowy »

I have a Mechanics toolbox.

It contains spare: cables, power leads, strings, multi tool, flashlight, electricians pliers, various screwdrivers, duct tape, most of the capos I've accumulated, slides, fuses, 12ax7's and EL84's, cleaning cloths, acoustic bridge pins, small file, needle drill, solder, half a dozen switchcraft plugs, some screws,insulating tape, a guitar strap or two, 9v batteries, a Rosewood machine head winder, a book of chords and a couple of wine corks.

If I'm feeling nervous about a gig I'll also pack the Lunchbox as a backup.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

amp hotcake gat 2 leads

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

MogwaiBoy wrote:
mitch.twentyfive wrote: But having never broken a bass string in my life i haven't found it necessary
I used to break them all the time.. always the low C (drop) when I played bass in Misled By Lies and hardcore stuff before that. But I think that was because I had the bridge setup wrong on ye olde Samick P.O.S.
Was that pretty low tension? pick?
Maybe I'm just lucky, or it could be cuz i change strings every 4-6 weeks. dunno.

I suppose I could/should always have a back up. i dunno... get abit paranoid about thieves.

Forgot to mention a key piece of kit: A beer or 3.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 173 times
Been liked: 257 times

What do you take to a gig?

Post by Capt. Black »

I have a Falcon station wagon. (I need a spare one of those at the moment.)

I can fill that up for most gigs. Mainly cos I seem to have to take spares for the rest of my band too. Bloody retards.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

This thread has actually made me think about how underprepared some bands that I've gigged with in the past have been. Last year, I played a gig with a young punk-metal band (late teens). During soundcheck their guitarist broke a string because he claimed to have not changed them in a year. Because they were opening in 30 minutes, and he had no backup, he asked if I could loan him a guitar. I offered him my backup guitar which at the time was a Ibanez Roadster. He asked if I could give him my SG instead, but given that they played in a different tuning, i wasn't keen and he got all sulky, even thoguh I was potentially shooting myself in the foot by allowing this kid to drop-tune my backup down to C on a set of 9's with mininal slack.

They played their set and proceeded to jump around like maniacs and swing guitars left/right/centre. I just watched in disbelief as he flailed my guitar around like a madman and proceed to return it with the pickup selector switch knob missing, a chip in the headstock and covered in beer. Nearly had a punch up afterwards with him when I refused to pay them for the gig due the to damage done to my guitar, our drummer's kit (cracked a symbol) and bass players amp (more drinks spilt on it). Resolved by the fact that they all realised that were outnumbered by our mates and pussied out. They amusingly split up a week later.

I''m generally happy to loan gear like cabs, picks, even backup guitars, or pedals. Less inclined with main axes and amps, due to the fact that I dislike my settings being adjusted but if there's a breakdown or emergency requirement, then no worries. However, it just does my head in how some people just have this "she'll be right" attitude.

/rant.

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

thats bloody shocking man!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Post by Slowy »

I'm deeply prejudiced. I'll lend anything of mine to a gentleman; even if he's a djentleman.
Yobbos and losers however, can fuck off.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.