Cables and Capacitance

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stark
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Cables and Capacitance

Post by stark »

I've posted this before about a year ago but I think there was a DB crash since then, so he we go again. :)

I've often read of soundgeeks and producers complain that ppl often shell out thousands for a guitar, thousands for an amp, then connect them with a $10 cable.

This post is a synopsis of an article in GP Sep97.

<GP>

THE BAD NEWS:

The 2 conductors of a cable are close enough togther to act as a small capacitor, shunting upper frequncies to ground before they reach your amp.

Hi-capacitance cables create phase-shift as frequency increases, ie hi-freqs are delayed in relation to the lows. not good.

The longer the cable, the higher the capacitamce, which is measured, BTW, in picofarads (pf)

The treble-sucking effect of hi-cap cables is more pronounced with guitars with high output-impedance (passive pups), and amps with hi input-impedance (300kohms+), ie, your typical Strat/LesPaul -> Tube Amp setup.

THE GOOD NEWS:

If you're using a guitar with low output-impedance (active pups) and an amp with low input-impedance cable capacitance has little effect, but your tone controls have less effect.

If you're using a guitar with low output-impedance (active pups) and an amp with high input-impedance cable capacitance has little effect if your guitar vol is on full, but as you wind back the guitar vol, cable capacitance gradually takes effect, esp if the guitar tone resistance is greater than 250kohms.

Active impedance buffers, and even stompboxes, inserted between your guitar and amp can help preserve clarity in long cable runs.

</GP>

THE BOTTOM LINE:

It appears from the article that the treble rolloff starts to become noticeable at around 750pf. Out of 36 cables tested, 21 were under 750pf.

GP's test results of various 20 foot cables from APC, Belden, Carvin, China, DiMarzio, GeorgeL's, Fender(whirlwind accusinic), Horizon, Monster, ProCo, Rapco, Spectraflex, Whirlwind, varied from:

George L's @ 418pf
to
Rapco Road Hog @ 2150pf

Most fell between 600 and 900.

Many great guitar recordings were done with whatever cable was lying around.

Some ppl LIKE the treble attenuation of hi-cap and/or long cables. The Monster Performer Jazz 500 registered 1220pf, which would be quite mellow compared to the Monster Performer Rock 500 @ 610pf. It is however something of a mystery to me why the Monster Studio pro 1000 was 2110pf.

I've always gone with keeping cables as short as poss. Since reading this article I've obtained a couple of George L's, a 10 footer and a 15 footer, both of which i imagine would weigh in at less than 400pf, but i have no way of measuring the capacitance. I don't even know how to. But my ears tell me that these cables are very clear lively sounding, and dead quiet.

So if your amp is sounding a bit dull and lifeless, it's a cheaper and easier option to scrutinise your cables before you start thinkin about new pups/tubes/spkrs etc.
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

If you looking for reeeeally high-end cables, look for Evidence Audio, Zaolla, or Two Rock.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster