kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1052 times

Re: Great guitar tones from unexpected sources

Post by kdawg2a »

Its funny how sometimes a great/terrible guitar tone can/can't sound amazing in a band context. My Les paul + Bassman + T808 sounds amazing on its own but when it comes to cutting through the band clutter my crappy old Boss Distortion/Overdrive does a much better job.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

kdawg2a wrote:Its funny how sometimes a great/terrible guitar tone can/can't sound amazing in a band context. My Les paul + Bassman + T808 sounds amazing on its own but when it comes to cutting through the band clutter my crappy old Boss Distortion/Overdrive does a much better job.
this. Fuzzes like the Big Muff and similar types of squishy fuzzes sound great on their own, but are completely lost in a band situation. I think my Big Muff needs a volume boost cause sometimes I have the volume on full and it still doesn't cut through, but that could just be the stage sound, the soundman could be cursing me from behind the desk when I do this.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7828 times
Been liked: 4224 times

Post by jeremyb »

druz15 wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:Its funny how sometimes a great/terrible guitar tone can/can't sound amazing in a band context. My Les paul + Bassman + T808 sounds amazing on its own but when it comes to cutting through the band clutter my crappy old Boss Distortion/Overdrive does a much better job.
this. Fuzzes like the Big Muff and similar types of squishy fuzzes sound great on their own, but are completely lost in a band situation. I think my Big Muff needs a volume boost cause sometimes I have the volume on full and it still doesn't cut through, but that could just be the stage sound, the soundman could be cursing me from behind the desk when I do this.
Try a musket if you can find someone with one, very versatile muff!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

jeremyb wrote:
druz15 wrote:
Try a musket if you can find someone with one, very versatile muff!!
I think I have enough fuzz pedals for now haha, I have a USA Big Muff, Homemade Green Russian Big Muff Clone with Ram's Head Tone option (needs fixing), and two magnetic effects fuzzes (the Datsuns Death Rattle Fuzz and also one of Christian's (lead guitarist from the Datsuns) Tonebender MKII Clones that he built for himself and then sold to me)

Although I could do with a fuzzface as well haha, and maybe a RAT
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

OK, here's one from right smack dab in the middle of the 80s that I doubt too many people remember if they've even heard it at all. I was in uni, and I remember hearing it on the radio thinking that the guitars - both the clean chicken-pickin' bit and the OD rhythm guitar - were just great rock tones. One of the things that really helps with the OD rhythm track is the bass playing the line in unison; gives it a really fat sound. The whole song is very well produced, actually. The video, well, that's pure 80s cheeeeeze! :lolno:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QylncpJy5Rc[/youtube]
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton