The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

7-string tunings...

Post by The Scarecrow »

*Potential noob questions...*

So, 7-string is sorted and on the way. I'm kind of new to this whole extended range thing, and at this stage, am not really implimenting into band (although the bassist does play 5 string), just trying to learn at home etc.

However, I'm in a band that plays in Drop 6 (CGCFAd) and wondering how that translates on a 7? ACGCFAd? GCGCFAd? I gather that with the extended range, staying in BEADGBe is also an option, but we're used to the Drop C tuning now in terms of string tension/feel as well as some of the open-chord voicings used.

Any string gauge recomendations? I usually play 10-46 on a 6.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: 7-string tunings...

Post by Single coil »

10-46 should probably become 10-56 or 10-60. Can't help with the fun tuning part though. :geek:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7772 times
Been liked: 4203 times

Post by jeremyb »

What scale length is it? will have a major effect on string choice :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jeremyb wrote:What scale length is it? will have a major effect on string choice :)
It's an LTD SC207 - 25.5"

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

Trying to wrap my brain around this, but for what it's worth, here's how I see 7 strings...
One band I'm in plays in E standard, which makes it nice and easy. I tune the low string to A, then any power chord or whatever that is based on the 3rd string (A) can easily become, lower, therefore better! But I can still play all the regular 6 string stuff easy enough, and it's not that hard to get used to it...even though I NEVER thought of a 7 string that way. What I used to do was tune to drop A (like now) but I also tuned the G string to F#. This basically made it seem as though the low A was really my regular low E, and basically gave me an extra high string ( not an actual high string of course). Ihad to tune the G down to compensate for the 4th/4th/4th then a 3rd intervals on a regular tuned guitar. That allowed me to play a 7 string power chord as if I was playing on a 6 string. I hope that makes sense. Either way, I stopped tuning the G down because it rendered my 7 strings useless for trying to play in anything that wasn't my regular band, so now I just finger the chord a bit differently.
As for what you are doing, if your 6th string is already tuned down, I guess I would tune the 7th string to an octave of your third string. I have never tried to use a 7 string with anyone who was playing a drop tuned 6. Of course you could tune up to C but that gives you an extra high string instead, which may or may not be helpful to you....
I use 10-60 for my 7 strings, I used to use a 56 but that didnt really cut the mustard for drop A. I would imagine if you go this downtuning route you will need to go at least up to 11's and maybe a 62 or something for the low 7.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

This is probably no use whatsoever to you, but I found it helpful to picture the 7 string in those 2 ways.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

cholera wrote:Of course you could tune up to C but that gives you an extra high string instead, which may or may not be helpful to you....
Since it's a 25.5" scaled one I would suggest doing this.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

godgrinder wrote:
cholera wrote:Of course you could tune up to C but that gives you an extra high string instead, which may or may not be helpful to you....
Since it's a 25.5" scaled one I would suggest doing this.
so that'd end up being CGCFADG?