How do I make a Single Coil sound thicker?

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 354 times

How do I make a Single Coil sound thicker?

Post by WellyBlues »

I have a Gretsch Lap Steel with 1 x single coil pickup. Replacing the guitar or pickup isn't an option. I'd like it to sound a bit 'thicker', for the blues. And not spend too much, of course.

Looking on the interweb there were a multitude of suggestions, many involving pedals that you can't get easily in NZ. Some suggested a Compressor, others suggested a variety of OD pedals, a few suggested a Klon (makes the EHX Soul Food a contender, that's as much money I'd want to spend). One suggested a Delay between two OD pedals (one solely as a boost). The OD suggestions were to use it mainly as a boost. Is a Chorus part of the picture?

Anyway, I'm confused, again. Wonder what you folks think. Plenty of experience to tap into!

If I had the $$ I'd get a Duesenberg Fairytale. But I don't. Sigh.

Thanks in advance.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: How do I make a Single Coil sound thicker?

Post by Vince »

What gauge strings?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I picked up a Mcpherson Black boost for about $60 on TM. Just a nice clean boost which I put at the end of my signal chain to even out the volume when I change from buckers to single coil. If you can find something similar I'd recommend that, it works really well.
Loving it so far

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Do you find the sound thin on clean as well overdriven sounds? What amp are you running it into? I've played a Gretsch Lappy a few times and they are bright but usually rolling the tone control down a bit helps.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Vince wrote:What gauge strings?
Good question.

My first avenue would be an OD set fairly clean, I would use a tubescreamer personally.

Rob's suggestion of turning the tone control down if you have one is good. Then you could just play harder/louder without any shrill making the tone seem "thin".

Can you adjust the pickup height too?

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

I stack a philosophers tone with a soul food for single coil goodness, the soul food alone will start to get you there and they arnt too bad on the wallet.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

i am not a Strat player, but when i have had one i always found i had to roll back the treble on the bridge pup. that thickened it up a far bit. Yngwie used a DOD 250 to get a very thick tone, so any kind of boost like that would perhaps help.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

What tuning are you using?

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

Why don't you want to replace the pup? You can get single sized humbucker that'll drop straight in for less than a pedal. $58 for a kent Armstrong from guitar parts.co.Nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1019 times
Been liked: 2500 times

Post by Slowy »

Compressors, boost, OD's will all do it depending on the flavour you want. So will the amp (turn it up) and speaker selection. What have you got already? Start with that.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

does it have a volume pot?? if so check if its 250 or 500k if 500k change to 250.....does it have a tone pot?? if no then add one?? then roll back the treble....move the pick up as far away from the strings as possible (I guess being a lap steel its already miles away so this probably won't make a difference)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7757 times
Been liked: 4194 times

Post by jeremyb »

I've never understood people suggesting pot changes, when the volume is on full it's zero ohms, regardless of the pot value... The higher ohm pots are just required to silence a hotter pick up!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:I've never understood people suggesting pot changes, when the volume is on full it's zero ohms, regardless of the pot value... The higher ohm pots are just required to silence a hotter pick up!
but the internet is always telling me to use 250k pots to fatten singles up..honest
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

Unfortunately, the only real solution is called a humbucker.

In the absence of replacing the single coil, bump up the lower mids with an EQ.
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7757 times
Been liked: 4194 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I've never understood people suggesting pot changes, when the volume is on full it's zero ohms, regardless of the pot value... The higher ohm pots are just required to silence a hotter pick up!
but the internet is always telling me to use 250k pots to fatten singles up..honest
One thing I should say, is tone pots work in reverse, so tone on full is max resistance, so a higher resistance pot does give you a brighter tone :) But swapping to a lower resistance pot won't achieve any more than turning your tone control down a tad :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.