Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

harveysj
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Line 6 and multi effects

Post by harveysj »

What are the newer multi effects like? I once had a vox tone lab, it was ok but it wasn't quite there and lost a bit of tone just plugged in. Dose any one out there use a line 6 HD500 or HD500X or even the m13. Would it be worth going from individual pedals to one of these?

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Re: Line 6 and multi effects

Post by hamo »

Probably depends on how much of a cork sniffer you are. :p

I dunno, I have cloth ears and I get on just fine with the HD500, but I'm far from what you'd call a serious musician. Also some people can't get past the idea that they have to be inferior to pedals, and I'm sure that colours how they hear the sound.

That said, I've never heard anyone talk about a multiFX unit with the same reverence as a DMM or Strymon unit etc, so maybe there's a pointer there?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I use the M9 as I can get all my modulations, delays, reverbs etc from one little box. And they all sound pretty good to me.

If you're recording, I'd go the real pedal, but for gigging these new multi effects units are a really good option.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Boss GT100, TC Electronic G System, L6 HD500 etc are all pretty good now days.
The amp modelling from them is still not up there with AXEFX etc. But if you are only after effects, then they are really good.

The Line 6 M13 and M9 are great units.

Fractal have also just announced that they are releasing an effects only version of the AxeFX, which could be pretty damn cool.
Not sure on release date and pricing etc though.
Ummm....

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Every time i hear a POD recording that i think sounds good it turns out to be an old XT. I thought my X3 bean was OK sounding. I did not like the HD500X, but as far as I know the guy who bought it really likes it. I think they are best at modern metal sounds or modern cleans. They are average at classic crunch and overdrive tones I think. I have more joy using an Avid Mbox 3 and Guitar Rig 5.

Lots of people like the TC Electronics G System. I remember somebody here posted a G System Marty Friedman tone on the Metal Jam thread that was perfect sounding.

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

I see, so by the sound of it they might be good for high gain situations. Im more after edge of break up,
classic drive and huge fat cleans so perhaps individual pedals the way to go

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

M13, off and on since first released. Perfect if you don't need amp sims. In between I had an M9 but it just wasn't big enough....
Perfect for what I need, I bought and sold a g-system and went back to an m13. Plug and play, set and forget.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

With any all in one solution there are always compromises.i had an m13 but ditched it due to the weight and the awfulness of the drives .it meant I had to run a bigger board etc but I actually think it was the best multi I've had in terms of user interface and routing.i've been considering a nova due to the good price they seem to go for as well.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I bought and sold a g-system and went back to an m13
i bet that was more to do with gadget geeking than the tones :geek:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Would it be worth going from individual pedals to one of these?
i think multi effects and modelers are best for the guitarist who plays covers bands and need a wide range of tones on presets to match the set list. The other reason is to get everything in one affordable unit. Perhaps better stick to individual effects if you do not use lots of them and do not need presets
it was ok but it wasn't quite there and lost a bit of tone just plugged in
Sounds like you may find that with most multi effects, especially the PODs you are asking about. All depends on the needs you have. Home noodling or recording and you would be happier with individual effects by the sound of your comment.

Personally, I'd go with individual wah, phaser, drive, chorus, flanger, and boost pedals into the amp. Then run delay and reverb through the amp's FX loop (unless the amp is clean enough to run into the front end).

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Line 6 and multi effects

Post by Bg »

Aquila Rosso wrote:
I bought and sold a g-system and went back to an m13
i bet that was more to do with gadget geeking than the tones :geek:
Nope the g system didn't blow me away so I went back to an M13.

I don't have a problem with the drives on the M series either, they just need some tweaking, very useable.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

YMMV I guess,I found the dirt pedals were ok when playing out of a band situation but just were a bunch of nasally mud or ear raping shrieks whenever you tried to force them out of the mix.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I gigged with Boss Multi Effect units since the ME5 in 88. Or in new terms forever.
GT3 , GT5 and currently on a GT6. I have a love hate thing with Zoom, I do like the 505 pedal for it pure simple format. But they never last long enough to be a steady item.

I also have 40 plus pedals as well. Its easy to pick up pedals and play song to the pedal style.

But I have found in a covers type set list the Boss works best as I program every patch and song in sequence or multiply patches per song. You can label them the song title and forget.