Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2495 times
Been liked: 2804 times

Re: Pedal through an overdriven amp

Post by Molly »

godgrinder wrote:
Molly wrote:I just think everybody needs to buy a Splawn :)
Yeah, and if you are buying brand new, the flagship model of a Splawn is actually cheaper than a stock 2203 reissue hahaha.
Then it's decided. :thumbup:

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 763 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Maybe this new Seymour Duncan 805 pedal will suit your needs? It's essentiall a Tube Screamer, but with more gain and a full EQ section. Actually looks pretty cool!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIe9idSNt04[/youtube]
Nothing to see here.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

That Tone Report looks good.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Molly wrote:That Tone Report looks good.

You talking about her pedal?
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I think it looks kinda plain
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 661 times
Been liked: 566 times

Post by TmcB »

I see Fender have decided to rebrand some Mooers. That's nice.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

werdna wrote:The sound I am after is the 3rd channel on a Mark Series Mesa. Polished, modern, compressed, tight.

But this discussion has been useful. I will use the plexi with the AC Boost i.e. Marshall plus TS. I'll put in a high gain pickup. It will not be as tight or dark as I need to be faithful to the material (e.g. Chevelle). But in the heat of the moment who is going to complain?
I was going to suggest a KT-88 powered JCM800 for a bigger tighter sound, Kerry King models come up cheap on TM from time to time. Or get Ryan to mod an 800 for 88's & throw in a depth knob as has been suggested....Mastadon :thumbup:

Then I saw your Chevelle reference.
It's so simple, score a Mark IV, that's what he uses.
Sounds incredible especially when playing drop C tunings.

Or you could grab a Mark V.
I believe he's using these on latter albums since their gear was flogged.

I'm sure RSMatt could work you a sweet deal on one :thumbup:

I also think a big part of getting a modern sound is lower tuning.
To me a Marshall sounds a completely different animal the lower you, Mastadon is a good example for the 800 & Carcass for the 900.

Then you have amps that are voiced aggressively like a Bogner Uberschall or VHT/Fryette Ultralead that will sound pissed off naturally......regardless of the tuning.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

higainer wrote:I was going to suggest a KT-88 powered JCM800 for a bigger tighter sound, Kerry King models come up cheap on TM from time to time. Or get Ryan to mod an 800 for 88's & throw in a depth knob as has been suggested....Mastadon :thumbup:
Or some KT77's for direct drop in.

I'm gonna swap out the KT88's in my 2203KK for 6550's. Picked up a quad of Svetlana on my US trip in May, probably gonna drop the amp to Ryan next week.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Hah! Agreed.

What I like about my QR is that it does the plexi/JCM800 thing at lower settings, but the third gear which is supposed to be a more hot-rodded 800 sound gets a more modern sound to my ears, especially in lower tunings and with with a compressor/noise gate thrown in the mix. Get some very tight & chunky palm-mutes out of it.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

"to me a Marshall sounds a completely different animal the lower you, Mastadon is a good example for the 800 & Carcass for the 900.

Then you have amps that are voiced aggressively like a Bogner Uberschall or VHT/Fryette Ultralead that will sound pissed off naturally......regardless of the tuning.

some guy on the the NZG+B FB group was asking if a TS9 pedal into a 5150 lead channel would be gainy enough, or he should get a 6150. i asked what the heck he planned to do with it, take it to war or something. i have a hard time imagining how a 5150 hit with a TS9 would not have enough gain, what ever the heck enough is. perhaps he confuses gain for tight and aggressive or something.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

The Scarecrow wrote:
Hah! Agreed.

What I like about my QR is that it does the plexi/JCM800 thing at lower settings, but the third gear which is supposed to be a more hot-rodded 800 sound gets a more modern sound to my ears, especially in lower tunings and with with a compressor/noise gate thrown in the mix. Get some very tight & chunky palm-mutes out of it.
I've just re-tubed mine so had a good run at it today. Find I'm using 1st gear the most. It's supposed to be a hot-rod Plexi. I've only got the gain around half and that's with a vintage-spec Strat. Turn it up a bit and go to 3rd gear with a Les Paul and it's utterly transformed. Way more overdrive that I tend to use. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. Built like f'kin' tanks and really versatile.
I was honestly referring to the report itself. Didn't want to comment on the girl particularly because whatever I said about her and how knowledgeable she is would seem patronising.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Aquila Rosso wrote:some guy on the the NZG+B FB group was asking if a TS9 pedal into a 5150 lead channel would be gainy enough, or he should get a 6150. i asked what the heck he planned to do with it, take it to war or something. i have a hard time imagining how a 5150 hit with a TS9 would not have enough gain, what ever the heck enough is. perhaps he confuses gain for tight and aggressive or something.
If Ironbird13 can get brootz through a 5E3 with a low gain overdrive, then perhaps the playing style needs to be considered.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Doc Murray »

alanp wrote:a 5E3 with a low gain overdrive, then perhaps the playing style needs to be considered.
sure to rise