jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: The slide thread

Post by jeremyb »

Vince wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Went for a walk at morning tea down to CJ's which is a block or so away from work, got myself a 19mm dunlop brass slide, the smallest Ashton glass or brass ones they had were 22mm, otherwise I would have got those as I intend to use it on my little finger so I can still play notes with the other 3... Missus is away for the weekend, so will have plenty of time on my hands at night to play guitar :mental:
Starting to sound like a blues song already.
:lol: had a quick play just now, yep it's way harder than it looks :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

fretting with 3 fingers in open key isn't a big deal. Mostly I use a slide on my ring finger and use two fingers for chords. I'm happy enough now with a light slide on my little finger and can play a heavy one with support from the ring finger but then I've lost all the advantage of using my little finger!
Seriously, I never made any decent slide sounds till I upped my string gauge and started using the ring finger, you can then move back to pussy strings when you've got it down ;)

The big thing is damping too, like a bass - you have to learn to dampen strings that you don't want ringing - both left and right hand. Its not easy unless all you want to do is pick up a beer bottle in a pub and do a quick solo to impress drunken pissheads, with your prowess ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and check out some of Matt Smiths youtube stuff, he'll help you on the way ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Cheers BG!! Will man up with the thicker strings asap :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

And crank up the action ;)

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

BG wrote:Its not easy unless all you want to do is pick up a beer bottle in a pub and do a quick solo to impress drunken pissheads, with your prowess ;)
Mind you, that's a lot of fun, too . You're probably not going to get laid on guitar chops alone, you may as well impress *someone* :lol:
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

jeremyb wrote:Cheers BG!! Will man up with the thicker strings asap :)
Slide is a perfect excuse for a bit of guitar acquisition...one for Open D, one for Open E etc, all with heavier strings, and your standard guitar with 10s on it for your normal guitar playing. You have to have the right tools for the job! :)

It's huge fun. And the best sound ever. Then there are lap steels, weissenborns (beautiful), resonators and dobros......oh dear my GAS is showing.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

^This

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

WellyBlues wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Cheers BG!! Will man up with the thicker strings asap :)
Slide is a perfect excuse for a bit of guitar acquisition...one for Open D, one for Open E etc, all with heavier strings, and your standard guitar with 10s on it for your normal guitar playing. You have to have the right tools for the job! :)

It's huge fun. And the best sound ever. Then there are lap steels, weissenborns (beautiful), resonators and dobros......oh dear my GAS is showing.
Rob, You should post the soundclip that you sent me of you playing your weissenborn. I think it might have been a Ry Cooder song? The sound/playing on that is fantastic!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Not the first of it's kind but looks handier than the others ( RJR makes everything sound superb mind ).
I'm partial to a bit of mega crude slidage but I find the best sound comes when using an 18mm torque wrench head. It's far too heavy to allow nimble fretting but the sustain and tone are way beyond made for purpose slides.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I've never tried the heavy weight slide, always figured it tough to get vibrato, must try.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Dharmajester wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:02 am

Not the first of it's kind but looks handier than the others ( RJR makes everything sound superb mind ).
I'm partial to a bit of mega crude slidage but I find the best sound comes when using an 18mm torque wrench head. It's far too heavy to allow nimble fretting but the sustain and tone are way beyond made for purpose slides.
This. I find the same. I guess that's why the real slide players use a steel bar?

I don't like having my fingers all tied up, so that small slide might be a good option. I currently use a brass slide that is designed for your pinky. it is thin at the bottom so it does not get in the way of your other fingers, but thick at the top where it touches the strings. Can't remember who makes them now (and there is no branding on it), but they are also worth a try if you are looking to fit slide notes into your regular playing.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

I mostly play slide on resonators and strings are generally 15-56, I can fingerpick those fine as I use finger and thumbpicks, bending - that is what the slide is for :D

I use heavy slides on my little finger, my go too is a Daddyslide German Silver one, a heavy brass and a Diamond Bottleneck glass one. Once you get comfortable with the weight you don't need to press as hard and it gets very maneuverable.
calling card wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:40 am I've never tried the heavy weight slide, always figured it tough to get vibrato, must try.

Try using your whole forearm rather than wrist to get vibrato, once you have it down it is so easy.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

k1w1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:06 pm I mostly play slide on resonators and strings are generally 15-56, I can fingerpick those fine as I use finger and thumbpicks, bending - that is what the slide is for :D

I use heavy slides on my little finger, my go too is a Daddyslide German Silver one, a heavy brass and a Diamond Bottleneck glass one. Once you get comfortable with the weight you don't need to press as hard and it gets very maneuverable.
calling card wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:40 am I've never tried the heavy weight slide, always figured it tough to get vibrato, must try.

Try using your whole forearm rather than wrist to get vibrato, once you have it down it is so easy.
This man speaks the truth. Since the nerve damage, this is all I can do....