Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mr Davison
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: What are you learning?

Post by Mr Davison »

StratMatt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:18 pm Been working through Metallica's Disposable Heroes. That sure gets the right forearm pumping!
That song is a brutal rythmic workout. Ben Eller on YouTube does a great breakdown on some of the finer nuances in the song as the official tabs are crap & can be hard to pick out by ear with the speed of the track
Sonic mayhem unleashed

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:20 pm
StratMatt wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:18 pm Been working through Metallica's Disposable Heroes. That sure gets the right forearm pumping!
That song is a brutal rythmic workout. Ben Eller on YouTube does a great breakdown on some of the finer nuances in the song as the official tabs are crap & can be hard to pick out by ear with the speed of the track
Oh man is it what. Hetfield is (was?) a beast. I had to turn to Ben Eller's vid to figure out what was going on underneath the solo. Good fun though.
Loving it so far

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

https://youtu.be/LLvAVuWaeMk
Got a 'pickin' to attend in a couple of weeks so I'm learning some bluegrass standards. Fuck me, fiddle lines are hard! They don't look hard but after spending 20 years on what I guess have been more blues based scales, this stuff is really making me work for it.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:55 am https://youtu.be/LLvAVuWaeMk
Got a 'pickin' to attend in a couple of weeks so I'm learning some bluegrass standards. Fuck me, fiddle lines are hard! They don't look hard but after spending 20 years on what I guess have been more blues based scales, this stuff is really making me work for it.
Lucky that vid starts out at quarter speed.

Bluegrass and Celtic; two flavours of acoustic guitar shredding. Awesome stuff! If I'd been born in Kentucky or Cork, I'd play nothing else.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Slowy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:37 am

Bluegrass and Celtic; two flavours of acoustic guitar shredding. Awesome stuff! If I'd been born in Kentucky or Cork, I'd play nothing else.
It seems here in the south that hardly anyone plays guitar. But of those that do, all seem to absolutely shred on the bluegrass. There's great living history here of people who have decended from the Scots and Irish (hence the moonshine culture) and the music is really strong. It's becoming a great learning experience.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:13 am

It seems here in the south that hardly anyone plays guitar. But of those that do, all seem to absolutely shred on the bluegrass. There's great living history here of people who have decended from the Scots and Irish (hence the moonshine culture) and the music is really strong. It's becoming a great learning experience.
Yeah, pointy stick shredders think they can play... Hillbillies do that stuff on ancient Martins with 13 gauge strings.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:00 am

Yeah, pointy stick shredders think they can play... Hillbillies do that stuff on ancient Martins with 13 gauge strings.
With action measured in inches, not millimeters. When men were men, I say.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:13 am
Slowy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:00 am
With action measured in inches, not millimeters. When men were men, I say.
And hogs were nervous.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

That was a real lol one for me...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Just spent an hour learning this. Such a nice progression.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:10 pm Just spent an hour learning this. Such a nice progression.

Yeah I've always loved that one :) makes such a change, wouldn't bust it out at the usual blues jam nights haha.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Blimey... deceptively simple...

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Carry On My Wayward Son

I was working of a tab that sounded OK, but since found this isolated track, and noticed much wrongness in the tab. I don't know why I bother with tabs on the net.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

codedog wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:13 pm Blimey... deceptively simple...

Ooo. I like that!

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:20 pm the official tabs are crap
wait what? are you saying cherry lane lied to me?