Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by Bg »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:42 am The main problem I've found is diminished headroom, less dynamics and more constrained sound overall. OD pedals are notorious for cutting bass, boosting midrange and blanketing the 'air' from the natural high-end. Stacking them compounds this.

I mean, as a special effect, yes sure - but if every time you sit down to play guitar, you need "this pedal into this pedal" then you are probably compensating for a different amp or guitar.

But... millions of guitarists swear by it, so whaddoiknow!
I think most guitarists are compensating for something..... :mental:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:42 am The main problem I've found is diminished headroom, less dynamics and more constrained sound overall. OD pedals are notorious for cutting bass, boosting midrange and blanketing the 'air' from the natural high-end. Stacking them compounds this.

I mean, as a special effect, yes sure - but if every time you sit down to play guitar, you need "this pedal into this pedal" then you are probably compensating for a different amp or guitar.

But... millions of guitarists swear by it, so whaddoiknow!
Yeah I think its definitely a special effect kind of thing, like John Mayer using the TS to get that mid boost for solos and if he needs more he runs a klon or other similarly "transparent" OD into it, I'm really digging doing something similar with the EP booster -> Hot Cake, with humbuckers its glorious!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 480 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

For me, stacking is a great way of achieving a dynamic tone at low volumes. Although, I prefer to stack boost pedals. My current go to for base sound is the boost side of my zvex box of rock into a super hard on clone into a Timmy with a smidge of hair. I have 2 fuzzes at start of chain for extra drive and the overdrive section of the box of rock really thickens things up nicely. I find this set up very dynamic and allows nuanced use of my volume pot. All this into clean channel of a lionheart.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

IMOCD wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:27 pm For me, stacking is a great way of achieving a dynamic tone at low volumes. Although, I prefer to stack boost pedals. My current go to for base sound is the boost side of my zvex box of rock into a super hard on clone into a Timmy with a smidge of hair. I have 2 fuzzes at start of chain for extra drive and the overdrive section of the box of rock really thickens things up nicely. I find this set up very dynamic and allows nuanced use of my volume pot. All this into clean channel of a lionheart.
That's good to know about stacking boost pedals. I always play guitar at low volumes during my leisure time. And it's frustrating to hear some sustain unless you crank up the amp's volume.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

I was wondering if there's a list of OD pedals that compliments each other.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

IMOCD wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:27 pm For me, stacking is a great way of achieving a dynamic tone at low volumes. Although, I prefer to stack boost pedals. My current go to for base sound is the boost side of my zvex box of rock into a super hard on clone into a Timmy with a smidge of hair. I have 2 fuzzes at start of chain for extra drive and the overdrive section of the box of rock really thickens things up nicely. I find this set up very dynamic and allows nuanced use of my volume pot. All this into clean channel of a lionheart.
You’re stacking super hard ons - if you turned the other side of the box of rock on you’d have 5 stacked super hard ons going into a timmy
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

TmcB wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:45 am You’re stacking super hard ons - if you turned the other side of the box of rock on you’d have 5 stacked super hard ons going into a timmy
That’s a lot of hard ons.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:15 am
TmcB wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:45 am You’re stacking super hard ons - if you turned the other side of the box of rock on you’d have 5 stacked super hard ons going into a timmy
That’s a lot of hard ons.
Timmy is very accomodating.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I'm a big fan of stacking overdrives. It's the closest I've found to getting the feel of a pushed tube amp when I'm playing at volumes that won't push my amp in the slightest.

I currently use a low-gain OD with a broad frequency response, and then push the front end of that with a coloured boost (e.g. Klone), mid-heavy OD (e.g. TS) or a fuzz. All at above unity gain.

The Strymon Sunset is such a fantastic OD stacking tool. Two different ODs and a boost per side, and being able to run it A into B, B into A, or A and B in parallel. Hard not to find a bunch of great tones with that alone.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Timmy is a good stacker, I built one with a Clark Gainster in one box and they work perfectly together.
I’m partial to a Blues Breaker style pedal stacking with most other low gains as well.
Klons have a unique mid range push which either makes it blend really well or becomes muddy and congested depending on what you stack it with.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:14 am Timmy is a good stacker, I built one with a Clark Gainster in one box and they work perfectly together.
I’m partial to a Blues Breaker style pedal stacking with most other low gains as well.
Klons have a unique mid range push which either makes it blend really well or becomes muddy and congested depending on what you stack it with.
What’s a good cost effective Klon clone? I’ve always used xotic as a boost but keen to add another

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

MrDINO wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:31 am
What’s a good cost effective Klon clone?
EHX Soul Food
J Rockett Archer
Wampler Tumnus
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by hercules »

It's probably been mentioned on a previous page, but I find it helpful to remember that there's a difference between stacking gain stages and stacking overdrive circuits. Especially where the pedals have both gain and volume controls.

Compressors are often forgotten as part of the equation, too, along with the input stage of a pedal...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:14 am Timmy is a good stacker, I built one with a Clark Gainster in one box and they work perfectly together.
What’s a good cost effective Klon clone? I’ve always used xotic as a boost but keen to add another
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09HTVL9 ... p13NParams

Skip to 14:00
https://youtu.be/aK5H0e9Ejmc
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

TmcB wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:13 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09HTVL9 ... p13NParams

Skip to 14:00
https://youtu.be/aK5H0e9Ejmc
Kdawg2a had a gold one of these, killer pedals, cheap as on AliExpress!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.