Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Digitech trio plus users?

Post by jeremyb »

Worth it? Thinking as a practice tool it would be cool, especially with the looper... Thoughts?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: Digitech trio plus users?

Post by Conway »

I highly recommend the Boss RC-10R. So good I’ve got two.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

I have one. Like it a lot. One caveat: don’t run it through your guitar amp. You’ll need either a PA or I use a Peavey KB amp. Brilliant practice tool. If you don’t need a bass track, the Beat Buddy is popular with some of my mates.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Which reminds me, I have a Beat Buddy for sale...
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote:I have one. Like it a lot. One caveat: don’t run it through your guitar amp. You’ll need either a PA or I use a Peavey KB amp. Brilliant practice tool. If you don’t need a bass track, the Beat Buddy is popular with some of my mates.
How come? I thought the idea was to use it via the effects loop etc???? Did it colour the tone too much?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Conway wrote:I highly recommend the Boss RC-10R. So good I’ve got two.
Price makes me squeal tho :(

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

jeremyb wrote:Worth it? Thinking as a practice tool it would be cool, especially with the looper... Thoughts?
Got mine from prymaxe as an ex demo, that helped to make it worth it.

I plug it into a vox mv clean and don't have any problems with it at practice volume. If you were playing loud then yeah it would probably be better to use the mixer out.

I use it as a composition tool, so that I can turn up at jam night with fresh stuff that theoretically won't confuse a drummer.

I've also been using it to try to get better at improvising leads, staying in time during and finishing at the end of the bar.

Very happy with it for those purposes.

If I was practicing covers I wouldn't bother and would just play along to the recording.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mmmmm I have wondered if I should just use the aux input into my katana and use backing tracks... Would certainly save some cash!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:Mmmmm I have wondered if I should just use the aux input into my katana and use backing tracks... Would certainly save some cash!
I did that when I had a Katana and had some problems. Can't exactly remember the nature of those though. I think it's along the lines of aux level. It was pretty quiet, so I turned up the output of my phone. That ended up distorting I think. That's all from very vague memory, I can't recall exactly what went wrong. I ended up playing backing tracks on my PC, through monitors.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:
Slowy wrote:I have one. Like it a lot. One caveat: don’t run it through your guitar amp. You’ll need either a PA or I use a Peavey KB amp. Brilliant practice tool. If you don’t need a bass track, the Beat Buddy is popular with some of my mates.
How come? I thought the idea was to use it via the effects loop etc???? Did it colour the tone too much?
Guitar amps are not good at reproducing bass and drums. And the Trio sounds very good.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have one, I run it through my amp in the FX loop, sounds good enough to me for home practice. It knows when it as plugged into a guitar amp and EQ's itself accordingly. I'm sure it will be better through a PA / FR amp and cab but its fine for practice use through a guitar amp.

The built-in guitar effects are bit meh but I never use them.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Here's how you do it. Get a Peavey KB4. Then buy a Fender Twin. After you've moved a KB4 around a few times, the Twin will seem like a lunchbox. :lol:

But the KB4 is a wonderful sounding beast. It can put out drum and bass for 3 guitars and still have juice in reserve.
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG (871.63 KiB) Viewed 5331 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Well.... so I deliberated a lot and have ended up with a Pigtronix Infinity 2 looper and a new UE Mega Blast speaker which I will play drum loops or backing tracks thru off my phone, bonkers, but I like it.

ALTOIDS
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by ALTOIDS »

I am deliberating about Digitech Trio+ as well.
Has anyone tried iReal Pro app?

I’m just wondering that would be a better solution just because of the price of the Trio+.
Curiously strong mints.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

ALTOIDS wrote:I am deliberating about Digitech Trio+ as well.
Has anyone tried iReal Pro app?

I’m just wondering that would be a better solution just because of the price of the Trio+.
Trio's not perfect. There are some beats I find really hard to get from it. But that may just be me, I'm a Tech Klutz.
Will say though that if you use a PA or something like my KB4, it sounds wonderful.