Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 900 times

Speaker Options for my 2w Dumble g12-65/evm12l/evm12s

Post by Marshmallow »

So after buying the g12-65 here in Japan, the owner gave me two more options

EVM12s ($220) or the EVM12L ($300) If anyone's got experiences with these let me know. NEver tried them before but i heard EVMs are good too. If you had the chance to pick one of these, Which one should I put in the cab? I also heard that the evms are crazy heavy.

Thanks!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Speaker Options for my 2w Dumble g12-65/evm12l/evm12s

Post by AiRdAd »

12l are wicked!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

EV's are great but they really need ported cab for their full potential.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I'm assuming we're talking Heritage G1265 as opposed to Creamback, the Heritage being a favourite with Dumble users.
The Heritage 65's when introduced were supposed to be a halfway house between a Greenback M and an H and I have found that to be an accurate description. They have the mids and breakup of a Greenback M with the added bottom end of an H ( without the extended top end ). An EV though is a whole different animal. Full frequency range and no breakup. Really great speaker but extremely heavy if you are going to ship it back here. Godgrinder is spot on saying they are best in a ported cab. The Mesa Thiele cabs were made to EV specs and really bring out the best in that speaker. They do however sound damn fine in other enclosures.
Either of the two are great speakers choose the EV if weight isn't a problem and you want a huge clean sound with no speaker breakup. If you want something less efficient ( so quieter ) and with more breakup go for the 65.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

I have and use EVM12L's 4 in a 412, 2 in a Rivera 212 ported cab... id say you would want to play through different speakers if you are able.. my feeling is sometimes what I have dialed in at home sounds way different in a different practice room without all the carpet and couch, and has yielded me different results, both good and ones I wasnt ready for.. luckily i usually take 2-3 cabs, with different speakers.. I am pretty sure the S arrives stands for short, maybe cone excurision, i think I heard always go with the evm 12 l,. So if you can play the speakers and compare especially at different volumes and see how it all fits together that might be a good way to go.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm I'm assuming we're talking Heritage G1265 as opposed to Creamback, the Heritage being a favourite with Dumble users.
The Heritage 65's when introduced were supposed to be a halfway house between a Greenback M and an H and I have found that to be an accurate description. They have the mids and breakup of a Greenback M with the added bottom end of an H ( without the extended top end ). An EV though is a whole different animal. Full frequency range and no breakup. Really great speaker but extremely heavy if you are going to ship it back here.
These sound like the perfect speaker for me!! Had no idea they existed, thanks!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Hey all! Thanks for the response! I don't think i'll ever reach break up on speaker with a 2w amp. its enough to shake the whole house though. Do you guys think that the 200w EVM12L/s is overkill for a 2w? haha

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Dharmajester wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm I'm assuming we're talking Heritage G1265 as opposed to Creamback, the Heritage being a favourite with Dumble users.
The Heritage 65's when introduced were supposed to be a halfway house between a Greenback M and an H and I have found that to be an accurate description. They have the mids and breakup of a Greenback M with the added bottom end of an H ( without the extended top end ). An EV though is a whole different animal. Full frequency range and no breakup. Really great speaker but extremely heavy if you are going to ship it back here. Godgrinder is spot on saying they are best in a ported cab. The Mesa Thiele cabs were made to EV specs and really bring out the best in that speaker. They do however sound damn fine in other enclosures.
Either of the two are great speakers choose the EV if weight isn't a problem and you want a huge clean sound with no speaker breakup. If you want something less efficient ( so quieter ) and with more breakup go for the 65.
Hi Yes,

I got the one with the 1777 cone 83. not sure how they compare to ev12L/s its the hardest ever decision. probably because im indecisive lol

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:28 pm These sound like the perfect speaker for me!! Had no idea they existed, thanks!
They ultimately morphed into the G12T-75. You can occasionally find early 75's (i.e in original silver jubilee cabs and others from that period) with white labelled backs which are pretty close to the 65's. The 75's specs moved further away from the 65 over subsequent years.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson