Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: Using a clean boost for compression as well as loudener

Post by Cdog »

mr_sooty wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:40 pm Mines a modded CS3. Did the Indy Mod on a few of them back in the day. I believe Brian Wampler was behind Indy mods before he started his pedal company. Would really like to try a CS2.
Oh cool, heard about that mod. I bought some pedal building ebooks off Brian, years ago when he went by the handle 'Indyguitarist'. A real nice dude. I'm using a Boss CP-1X :)

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Cdog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:15 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:40 pm Mines a modded CS3. Did the Indy Mod on a few of them back in the day. I believe Brian Wampler was behind Indy mods before he started his pedal company. Would really like to try a CS2.
Oh cool, heard about that mod. I bought some pedal building ebooks off Brian, years ago when he went by the handle 'Indyguitarist'. A real nice dude. I'm using a Boss CP-1X :)
Yeah that was it, Indyguitarist mod. How do you like the CP1X?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 am the BB Preamp is also known for a lot of compression, they even released a version with switchable compression on and off, like the Joyo Zip Amp which I use which is a clone of that model :)
I had an old BB preamp for several years. Sounded wicked at home as the compression wasn't noticeable at low volume however I took it out on tour as my only overdrive and it was a nightmare. We were doing theatres and wineries and all was good in soundchecks. Once the venues were filled with human acoustic padding though as soon as I engaged the BB my onstage volume would drop to inaudible levels. Got rid of it immediately afterwards.
I've since discovered that the later models didn't feature that level of compression but that it was still available in the Andy Timmons sig model.
Might get another one day but it certainly won't be a Timmons model.

Have you tried a Jackson Bloom ? comp, eq and boost in one pedal.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

mr_sooty wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:05 pm Yeah that was it, Indyguitarist mod. How do you like the CP1X?
It's great... a multi-band thingy. Guitar tone sounds more like it's been post-processed. It's really grown on me

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:25 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 am the BB Preamp is also known for a lot of compression, they even released a version with switchable compression on and off, like the Joyo Zip Amp which I use which is a clone of that model :)
I had an old BB preamp for several years. Sounded wicked at home as the compression wasn't noticeable at low volume however I took it out on tour as my only overdrive and it was a nightmare. We were doing theatres and wineries and all was good in soundchecks. Once the venues were filled with human acoustic padding though as soon as I engaged the BB my onstage volume would drop to inaudible levels. Got rid of it immediately afterwards.
I've since discovered that the later models didn't feature that level of compression but that it was still available in the Andy Timmons sig model.
Might get another one day but it certainly won't be a Timmons model.

Have you tried a Jackson Bloom ? comp, eq and boost in one pedal.
Interesting! The Joyo Zip Drive which is the clone I have has a switch for the compression, might be a bit low rent for you, but its a great sounding clean boost or OD in my opinion!! Jackson stuff is way outta my price range unfortunately, might watch some youtube vids on it tho' :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Cdog wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:30 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:05 pm Yeah that was it, Indyguitarist mod. How do you like the CP1X?
It's great... a multi-band thingy. Guitar tone sounds more like it's been post-processed. It's really grown on me
You lost me at 'processed'. 😉