jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Guitar Toan, What Actually Matters?

Post by jeremyb »

An interesting experiment!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Guitar Toan, What Actually Matters?

Post by rickenbackerkid »

really cool video. Some of the things that I thought that are kind of bullshit actually made (to my mind) a recognisable difference. Most surprising one was that the Focusrite preamp and conversion had a dramatically more strident and 'hard' sound than the more expensive preamps/converters. Also, my fave speaker of the speaker test was one that I've owned and didn't like much - the Vintage 30.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Cool video. Definitely explains why your tone would sound more crisp using a wireless unit if you were used to long cables.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

All I know is, if it sounds good, it is good.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

All I know is, if it looks good, it is good. ;-)

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I go on sustain. If you can't hang on a note for a decent amount of time, it's nothing but firewood with scrap metal on it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Zaulkin wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 pm Cool video. Definitely explains why your tone would sound more crisp using a wireless unit if you were used to long cables.
Cables make the most difference I reckon, especially if you have a large pedalboard, each length of cable adds capacitance which eats into your treble frequencies, I still remember going from cheap coloured patch cables to lava ones and having to turn the treble down on my amp :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

JoeBlow wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 am .....firewood with scrap metal on it.
Best description of my playing ever!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 am All I know is, if it looks good, it is good. ;-)
All I know is, if it is blue, it is good. :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

JoeBlow wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 am I go on sustain. If you can't hang on a note for a decent amount of time, it's nothing but firewood with scrap metal on it.
So many times I've got the volume civilized & non offensive for the setting. Gone for a lead piece and it goes plink plink.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

He's a patient chap. I'm impressed most by that Dr Z airbrake, Celestion gold the full voiced winner and Focusrite for a pre amp pick. Every thing else so subtle and gone in a flash when the drummer starts up.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

calling card wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:25 am He's a patient chap. I'm impressed most by that Dr Z airbrake, Celestion gold the full voiced winner and Focusrite for a pre amp pick. Every thing else so subtle and gone in a flash when the drummer starts up.
Yeah, man. It must have taken him days, if not weeks to do the testing, packaged around other dailies. :clap:

There are sooo MANY variables involved. The colouration you want to keep with some gear can get mucked up by other bits in the chain, that you then try to recapture? somehow with succeeding bits. Old adage though: the most important stuff is the 'ins' (geetar) and 'outs' (speakers). What happens in between is anyones' guess.

The airbrake thing was a pretty good test. I swear, through my meagre monitoring set, I could hear tonal changes as he applied more attenuation. When he adjusted the make-up volume level in post to counter balance the changes in attenuation, the tonal difference I previously perceived was negligible despite the attenuation increase. Fletcher-Munson curves in action

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

clubhouse wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:55 am
calling card wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:25 am He's a patient chap. I'm impressed most by that Dr Z airbrake, Celestion gold the full voiced winner and Focusrite for a pre amp pick. Every thing else so subtle and gone in a flash when the drummer starts up.
Yeah, man. It must have taken him days, if not weeks to do the testing, packaged around other dailies. :clap:

There are sooo MANY variables involved. The colouration you want to keep with some gear can get mucked up by other bits in the chain, that you then try to recapture? somehow with succeeding bits. Old adage though: the most important stuff is the 'ins' (geetar) and 'outs' (speakers). What happens in between is anyones' guess.

The airbrake thing was a pretty good test. I swear, through my meagre monitoring set, I could hear tonal changes as he applied more attenuation. When he adjusted the make-up volume level in post to counter balance the changes in attenuation, the tonal difference I previously perceived was negligible despite the attenuation increase. Fletcher-Munson curves in action
I have an Airbrake clone that I feel chops of a little bit of high end, but I might try to get a microphone to replicate this test.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

As an aside...Josh Smith (Flat V Lounge cat) regularly asks his guests, "if you had to choose between playing a shitty guitar (tuneable, intoned and otherwise playable...just wasn't nice to the touch or exactly your sound kinda thing) or going through a shitty amp (again, it works but otherwise not your sound), which way would you go?" Most reply: amp! Without hesitation. They'd put up with a budget guitar in favour of the output box's sound being something they could live with...

For me, if I don't dig the sounds, I just fold up...can't grab the muse, despite the axe.

How say you...?

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 am
Zaulkin wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 pm Cool video. Definitely explains why your tone would sound more crisp using a wireless unit if you were used to long cables.
Cables make the most difference I reckon, especially if you have a large pedalboard, each length of cable adds capacitance which eats into your treble frequencies, I still remember going from cheap coloured patch cables to lava ones and having to turn the treble down on my amp :lol:
Depends on your buffer/pedal config. Capacitance can become a non issue
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe